SAS Life Science Analytics Framework and the clinical data products from SAS

What is workflow? How and where can I use workflow?

Contributor

What is workflow? How and where can I use workflow?

This question can be broken down into three parts

•   What is workflow ?

Workflow is defined as the automation of a business process, in whole or part, during which documents, information or tasks are passed from one participant to another for action, according to a set of procedural rules.

Work Item is a deliverable that must be developed. Each work item is associated with a workflow. A workflow contains one or more tasks.

Task is defined as a description of a piece of work that forms one logical step within a process. An activity may be a manual activity, which does not support computer automation, or a workflow (automated) activity.

• Where can I use workflow ?

It can be used to automate, at least to some degree, a process or processes. The processes are usually business-related, but it may be any process that requires a series of steps that can be automated via software. Some steps of the process may require human intervention, such as an approval or the development of custom text, but functions that can be automated should be handled by the application

It allows the user to define different workflows for different types of jobs or processes. For example, Developing and validating of a dataset where the developer develops the dataset, Validator validates the dataset and the lead approves the final dataset. At each stage in the workflow, one individual or group is responsible for a specific task. Once the task is complete, the workflow software ensures that the individuals responsible for the next task are notified and receive the data they need to execute their stage of the process. Workflow management systems also automate redundant tasks and ensure that uncompleted tasks are followed up.

• How can I use workflow ?

In SAS Drug Development 4.1 you can define a Work item from Work item tile in Dashboard where the context of the Work item will always be Organization or you can define work item at the project or the analysis level by opening the desired project / analysis and selecting the work item tab.

Depending upon your requirement you can pick one of the workflow definitions which will fulfill your needs to perform specific work assignment.

User can fill in the various metadata fields associated with the work item and can assign different task(s) defined in work flow to different people as required. It can also contain automate tasks which are assigned to system and are automatically invoked and executed when encountered in the sequence of tasks defined in a workflow.

Work items and Tasks can be managed from work item tile and task tile respectively available in the Dashboard. Members can subscribe to various events associated with various work item and task actions.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation