BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MRB3855
Fluorite | Level 6

Good day: I have a question about the stability analysis platform in JMP.  In “help” I see the following.

“When Model 1 (different slopes and different intercepts) is used for estimating the expiration date, the MSE (mean squared error) is not pooled across batches. Prediction intervals are computed for each batch using individual mean squared errors, and the interval that crosses the specification limit first is used to estimate the expiration date.”

My question is this (I posed this question to JMP as well); for Model 1 (as defined above) why not use the pooled MSE?

JMP's response was: "Our development team chose to match Chow’s codes. I also believe this method was implemented to maintain consistency with results from a SAS macro called STAB that was written by FDA researchers."

In JMP help, they reference: Chow, Shein-Chung. (2007), Statistical Design and Analysis of Stability Studies.

I do not have a copy of the referenced text, and the FDA macros mentioned are decades old now.

Can anyone enlighten me on why the pooled MSE is not appropriate in this case (but it is in other two models considered: Common Intercept/Common Slope, Different Intercepts/Common Slope)?

I'm using JMP v13 (and it was this way in previous versions as well).

2 REPLIES 2
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The JMP Forum is read-only at the moment, but if you can wait a few days, you should address your question to the JMP Community at 

https://community.jmp.com/community/discussions

otherwise, as suggested on that site, send an email to 

support@jmp.com

PG
jmp
Calcite | Level 5 jmp
Calcite | Level 5

THe pooled MSA option has been added in JMP 17. As this question has been answered in the JMP community, I thought it would be good to post the link to the discussion here too: https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Question-about-Stability-Analysis-ANCOVA-and-the-pooled-MSE... 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation