BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Peter_Y
Calcite | Level 5

Hello:

I just start looking into implementing CDISC in SAS and my main resource is 

http://support.sas.com/rnd/base/cdisc/index.html

My question is: Which of the 3 tools 

1. SAS Clinical Standards Toolkit

2. SAS Clinical Data Integration

3. CDISC procedure

are necessary for CDISC implementation and which ones are optional?

Thanks,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

They are all optional.  CDISC is a different organisation to SAS.  CDISC provides models for data and guidance on how to populate those models along with code lists and such like.  How you implement those models is up to the user.  Personally I have looked at the Toolkit some time back and really wasn't impressed.  Haven't used the other two.  

What part are you doing, SDTM, ADaM, define etc.  Generally speaking I would say best practice is to get your define.xml ready first, this is the spec part.  That can then be used to process the data into SDTM - SAS could be used to do the manipulations, and I am sure a lot of users do this either based of define or some spreadsheet.  The data from SDTM - currently still SAS datasets or XPT files but will at some point move to XML - can then be processed further into the ADaM model, again you could use SAS to do this.  However that being said you could do the manipulations in pretty much any tool/language.  I have seen XML manipulators, C# being usd to do conversions etc. 

So, basically CDISC is the data model, how you arrive at the model is up to you (so long as it is robust, fully validated and replicabel of course Smiley Tongue)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

They are all optional.  CDISC is a different organisation to SAS.  CDISC provides models for data and guidance on how to populate those models along with code lists and such like.  How you implement those models is up to the user.  Personally I have looked at the Toolkit some time back and really wasn't impressed.  Haven't used the other two.  

What part are you doing, SDTM, ADaM, define etc.  Generally speaking I would say best practice is to get your define.xml ready first, this is the spec part.  That can then be used to process the data into SDTM - SAS could be used to do the manipulations, and I am sure a lot of users do this either based of define or some spreadsheet.  The data from SDTM - currently still SAS datasets or XPT files but will at some point move to XML - can then be processed further into the ADaM model, again you could use SAS to do this.  However that being said you could do the manipulations in pretty much any tool/language.  I have seen XML manipulators, C# being usd to do conversions etc. 

So, basically CDISC is the data model, how you arrive at the model is up to you (so long as it is robust, fully validated and replicabel of course Smiley Tongue)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation