DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

way to simplify the code

Contributor

way to simplify the code

[ Edited ]

Hi ,

I have a dataset A and need to create multiple datasets based on the compno ,lobcod and dirsection values.

I want to simplify the below steps instead of creating multiple lines.

if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') and dirsection='NP' then do; ptype='NP'; output NP; end;

if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') and dirsection='ADHS' then do; ptype='ADHS'; output ADHS; end;

if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') and dirsection='aadh' then do; ptype='AADH'; output AADH; end;

Thanks in Advance.

if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') and dirsection='CDPAS' then do; ptype='CDPAS'; output CDPAS; end;

Super User

Re: way to simplyfy the code

You're creating your groups based on the dirsection variable, except you're making it capital?

if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') and dirsection='NP' then do; ptype='NP'; output NP; end;
if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') and dirsection='ADHS' then do; ptype='ADHS'; output ADHS; end;
if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') and dirsection='aadh' then do; ptype='AADH'; output AADH; end;

is the same as:

if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') then ptype=upcase(dirsection);

Once that's sorted out, you can use any of the methods illustrated here:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2015/01/26/how-to-split-one-data-set-into-many/

But, one big caveat, in general this is not a good way to store data in SAS. If you're trying to separate data for analysis or for exporting to separate files there are other, better, ways.

PROC Star

If your trying to output all distinct dirsection into separate individual datasets then something like this works.

proc sql;
select distinct dirsection into:dirsection separated by " "
	from have;
quit;

data &dirsection ;
set have;
do i=1 to countw(&dirsection);
%let Val=scan(&dirsection,i);
if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') and upcase(dirsection)=upcase("&val") 
		then do;
			ptype=dirsection;
			output &Val;
			end;
end;
run;
Thanks,
Suryakiran
PROC Star

Posted in reply to SuryaKiran

@MarkWik

@SuryaKiran  Your proposed solution on the thread https://communities.sas.com/t5/Base-SAS-Programming/way-to-simplyfy-the-code/m-p/447544#M112453  doesn't work either as you have gotten the macro execution and sas execution comepletely wrong. I don't want mean to sound strong/harsh but I have to concur with @tomrvincent  in the objective that it may mislead for the OP and other readers 

@SuryaKiran wrote:

If your trying to output all distinct dirsection into separate individual datasets then something like this works.

proc sql;
select distinct dirsection into:dirsection separated by " "
	from have;
quit;

data "&dirsection" ;
set have;
do i=1 to countw("&dirsection");
%let Val=scan("&dirsection",i);
if compno in ('02','34') and lobcod in ('FDA','SHP') and upcase(dirsection)=upcase("&val") 
		then do;
			ptype=dirsection;
			output &Val;
			end;
end;
run;

I agree with you, I just gave an approach to handle and didn't test because I don't have sample data or time. Thanks for pointing out. 

Thanks,
Suryakiran
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation