BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Rajendra
Calcite | Level 5

Hi ,

I am using PSFTP for executing dos batch file in sas.

i want to pass parameter to batch file in sas and in batch file i have interpreted that passed parameter as %1 like below

%sysexec psftp.exe username@hostname -p  portnumber(22) -pw password -batch -b abc.bat d:\raj

in abc.bat

lcd %1

cd /home/comnest/

mget mkt*.csv

but that %1 is not working as i am not getting any file transfer from /home/comnest to local directory d:\raj.

if i remove d:raj as below

%sysexec psftp.exe username@hostname -p  portnumber(22) -pw password -batch -b abc.bat

and in abc.bat

lcd d:\raj

cd /home/comnest

mget mkt*.csv

is working and getting files from /home/comnest to local directory d:\raj

..but i want to pass parameter to abc.bat d:\raj

and can it replace %1 in abc.bat with value d:\raj

i have tried many times but it did not work

can you please help me on this .

6 REPLIES 6
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

have you tried passing the -b parameter as a quoted string containing the .bat file and it's parameter?

Rajendra
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Peter

i have created batch file extract_market_files.bat  which is ftping file from remote ftp server localtion /home/comnest/ to local machine directory d:\landing\

extract_market_files.bat is as below

lcd d:\landing\
cd /home/comnest/
mget mkt*.csv
quit

i am trying below command in sas for executing dos batch file which is running correctly.

%sysexec "D:\psftp username@hostname -P 22 -pw password -batch -v -b  D:\extract_market_files.bat"

remote file are getting ftped to local directory d:\landing\.

but i wanted to pass local directory 'd:\landing\' as a parameter while executing extract_market_files.bat in sas  and read that parameter in dos batch file using

%1.

something like below

%sysexec "D:\psftp username@hostname -P 22 -pw password -batch -v -b  D:\extract_market_files.bat d:\landing\"

in batch file %1 should understand value d:\landing.

extract_market_files.bat

lcd %1
cd /home/comnest/
mget mkt*.csv
quit

it is not ftping file from remote ftp location /home/comnest/ to local directory d:\landing\.

can you please suggest how to pass parameter from sas to dos batch file using psftp.

SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

I did a test using SAS9.2 on Wndows 7:

Contents of test.bat file:

echo Parameter was  %1;

SAS Code:

%sysexec "c:\temp\test.bat Testing > c:\temp\result.txt ";

result.txt file contents after run:

C:\Users\SASJedi>echo Parameter was  Testing;

Parameter was  Testing;

Conclusion:

Parameter is passing OK to a normal DOS batch file

Upon reviewing the documentation for PSFTP, I found instructions for writing scripts, but none for accepting parameters.  Perhaps this is problems stems from the PSFTP program itself. Consider re-writing your job as a DOS batch file (which will accept parameters) and let the DOS batch file execute PSFTP, or use a DATA _NULL_ step to write a customized copy of the extract_market_files.bat file which contains the hard-coded local directory name so it doesn't have to be passed as a parameter.

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
Rajendra
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks

my requirement is to pass parameter to dos batch file from sas using psftp protocol as file are residing on sftp server.

any information for passing parameter to dos batch file from sas using psftp will be helpful.

reneeharper
SAS Employee

Discussion moved to the SAS Macro Facility, Data Step and SAS Language Elements so that more people might find it.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It does not look like the psftp program does what you want it to do.  You can test that by taking SAS out of the problem and issuing the proposed command from a DOS prompt.

I think it would be much easier to use SAS to write the script for psftp than to depend on an external file.  But you could use an external file as a model for the script that SAS would write.  The datastep below will replace all references to '%1' with the actual directory.

%let sdir=d:\raj ;

filename script temp;

data _null_;

infile 'abc.bat' ;

file script;

input;

_infile_ = tranwrd(_infile_,'%1',"&sdir");

put _infile_;

run;

%sysexec psftp.exe username@hostname -p  portnumber(22) -pw password -batch -b %sysfunc(pathname(script)) ;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation