BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ibsulkim
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I get warning messages in log when I run the following codes with the data:

dataset- have, can be simplified as below:

CompanyNameDateTableNameYearvardata
ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY6026Assets-1914Road and equipment5367994
ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY6026Assets-1914Invest, in affil. cos34700
ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY6026Assets-1914Misc. physical property1580
ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY6026Assets-1914Other Investments50
ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY6026Assets-1914Cash754253
ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY6026Assets-1914Marketable securities4247

proc sort data=have;
     by CompanyName TableName Date Year;
   run;

proc transpose data=have out=want (drop=_NAME_);
     var data;
     id var;
   run;

The warning message is as follow:

WARNING: Variable Cash already exists on file WORK.WANT.

WARNING: Variable Total_Income already exists on file WORK.WANT

WARNING: Variable Net_earnings already exists on file WORK.WANT

WARNING: Variable Other_income already exists on file WORK.WANT.

From one of SAS support document, I have read that there should be no duplicate values in id variable within a by group.

and I could take care of the the following error message:

ERROR: The ID value "PassengerEarnings" occurs twice in the same BY group.

However, I couldn't figure it out why SAS shows me the warning message above.

Any comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Minsoo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You need to standardize your variable names. The easiest is to use UPCASE or lowcase function.

You also need to check if you have multiple records for the same variable.

The extra data step below will do both.

proc sort data=have1;                                                                                                                  

by companyname tablename date year;                                                                                                  

run;                                                                                                                                   

data have2 ;                                                                                                                           

set have1;                                                                                                                           

if first.year then recno=0;                                                                                                          

recno + 1;                                                                                                                           

var = lowcase(var);                                                                                                                  

run;                                                                                                                                   

proc transpose data=have2 out=want (drop=_name_);                                                                                      

by companyname tablename date year recno;                                                                                            

var data;                                                                                                                            

id var;                                                                                                                              

run;     

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
art297
Opal | Level 21

Have you carefully looked at your have dataset?  I ran the following without any error:

data have;

informat CompanyName TableName var $30.;

input CompanyName & Date TableName Year var & data;

cards;

ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY  6026  Assets-  1914  Road and equipment  5367994

ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY  6026  Assets-  1914  Invest, in affil. cos  34700

ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY  6026  Assets-  1914  Misc. physical property  1580

ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY  6026  Assets-  1914  Other Investments  50

ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY  6026  Assets-  1914  Cash  754253

ALABAMA & VICKSBURG RY  6026  Assets-  1914  Marketable securities  4247

;

proc sort data=have;

run;

proc transpose data=have out=want (drop=_NAME_);

var data;

id var;

run;

ibsulkim
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Art,

The have dataset I have posted is the first few lines of the dataset, and yes, it works fine with it, however it keeps making the warning message if I run it with the entire dataset.

The following link shows you the dataset.

And here is the code that I have used for this dataset:

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.have
            DATAFILE= "C:\Users\.......\1916_b_Macro.xls"
            DBMS=EXCEL REPLACE;
     SHEET="Sheet1$";
     GETNAMES=NO;
     MIXED=YES;
     SCANTEXT=YES;
     USEDATE=YES;
     SCANTIME=YES;
RUN;

data have1;
set have;
array vars(100) $200.;
        array vars_in(100) $200. f1-f100;
        retain vars;
  if compress(f1,,'kfd') eq "CompanyName" then do;
          call missing(of vars(*));
    do i=1 to 100;
            if compress(vars_in(i),,'kfd') ne "" then
   vars(i)=vars_in(i);
          end;
        end;
  else if compress(f1,,'kf') ne "" then do;
          CompanyName=vars_in(1);
          Date=vars_in(2);
          TableName=vars_in(3);
          Year=vars_in(4);
     do i=5 to 100;
            if compress(vars_in(i),,'kd') ne "" then do;
              var=vars(i);
              data=vars_in(i);
              output;
            end;
          end;

end;

run;

proc sort data=have1;
   run;

proc transpose data=have1 out=want (drop=_NAME_);
     var data;
     id var;
   run;

Thanks,

Minsoo

art297
Opal | Level 21

How do you want file want to appear (just one or two records would suffice)?

ibsulkim
Obsidian | Level 7

I need want file to have CompnayName, TalbeName, Date, Year on the first 4 columns and then have various variables such as Roda_and_equipemnt, etc. on the following columns as below:

CompanyName     TableName      Date      Year     Road_and_equipment      Invest__in_affil__cos  ...   .....    ....

The previous code works fine except for the variables shown in the warning messages.

Thanks,

Minsoo

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Looks like you have two values of VAR that SAS wants to convert to the same variable name.  Such as 'CASH' and 'cash', 'Net_earnings' and 'Net_Earnings'.

Do a proc freq on the variable VAR and see what you have.

ibsulkim
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Tom,

Yes, your comment seems to be the reason why it shows me the warning message.

It also makes sense that SAS doesn't make warning message when the case sentitive variable names are exactly the same, however, it gives an warning message when the variable has the same spell but different case for the variable names.

Is there any way I can go around this warning message except chaning the variable names into another one?

Thanks,

Minsoo

art297
Opal | Level 21

You can correct it with on line changed to your datastep, namely (about 5 rows up from the bottom of the datastep)):

var=upcase(vars(i));

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You need to standardize your variable names. The easiest is to use UPCASE or lowcase function.

You also need to check if you have multiple records for the same variable.

The extra data step below will do both.

proc sort data=have1;                                                                                                                  

run;                                                                                                                                   

data have2 ;                                                                                                                           

set have1;                                                                                                                           

if first.year then recno=0;                                                                                                          

recno + 1;                                                                                                                           

var = lowcase(var);                                                                                                                  

run;                                                                                                                                   

proc transpose data=have2 out=want (drop=_name_);                                                                                      

by companyname tablename date year recno;                                                                                            

var data;                                                                                                                            

id var;                                                                                                                              

run;     

art297
Opal | Level 21

Tom and I seem to agree on the solution.  One thing I wanted to mention though.  If you also get rid of the unnecessary data in your datastep, the sort and all will run much, much faster.  I ran it with the following code:

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.have

DATAFILE= "C:\art\1916_b_Macro.xls"

DBMS=EXCEL REPLACE;

SHEET="Sheet1$";

GETNAMES=NO;

MIXED=YES;

SCANTEXT=YES;

USEDATE=YES;

SCANTIME=YES;

RUN;

data have1 (keep=CompanyName TableName Date Year var data);

set have;

array vars(100) $200.;

array vars_in(100) $200. f1-f100;

retain vars;

if compress(f1,,'kfd') eq "CompanyName" then do;

call missing(of vars(*));

do i=1 to 100;

if compress(vars_in(i),,'kfd') ne "" then

vars(i)=vars_in(i);

end;

end;

else if compress(f1,,'kf') ne "" then do;

CompanyName=vars_in(1);

Date=vars_in(2);

TableName=vars_in(3);

Year=vars_in(4);

do i=5 to 100;

if compress(vars_in(i),,'kd') ne "" then do;

var=upcase(vars(i));

data=vars_in(i);

output;

end;

end;

end;

run;

proc sort data=have1;

run;

proc transpose data=have1 out=want (drop=_NAME_);

var var data;

id var;

run;

ibsulkim
Obsidian | Level 7

Great!

You make it happen!

Thank you very much for your solutions, Tom and Art!

Minsoo

Ksharp
Super User

Just as what you found:

ERROR: The ID value "PassengerEarnings" occurs twice in the same BY group.

Why not add a prefix for your id variable in proc transpose to avoid this error?

proc transpose data=have out=want (drop=_NAME_) prefix=_;
     var data;
     id var;
   run;

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation