BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
xiangpang
Quartz | Level 8

I saw this following code today. But I could not figure out the purpose of some code. 

One is why use 'visitnum=.;' here.  There is no difference with this sample code. But with the original data, there is a difference between code with 'visitnum=.;' and code without 'visitnum=.;' Does anyone meeting this kind thing before?

Another is why use  '(rename=(city=city2))' and 'city=city2;'   I think it is not necessary. 

data children;
input id city$ age day$ symptom @@;
output;
datalines;
1 steelcity 8 day0 1
2 steelcity 8 day2 1
3 steelcity 8 day2 1
4 greenhills 8 day0 0
5 steelcity 8 day0 0
6 greenhills 8 . 1 
7 steelcity 8 . 1
8 greenhills 8 day1 0
9 greenhills 8 day2 1
;
run;
data try; set children (rename=(city=city2)); length city$50.; city=city2; visitnum=.; if day='day0' then visitnum=0; if day='day1' then visitnum=1; if day='day2' then visitnum=2; keep id city i age day symptom visitnum; run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

The reason for using rename and length to change the length of "city" is maintaining the order of variables. Order matters if, e.g., later in the program proc export is used and the order of variables in the exported file must not change.

The variable "i" should be removed from the keep statement, because it is not used in the datastep at all.

"visitnum=.;" would server a purpose if the author tried to extract the number from day, but wanted visitnum as numeric without using the proper converting function. Just guessing 😉

If there are more than three values possible for visitnum, replacing the if-then-logic with a single assignment will help keeping the code short:

visitnum = input(substr(day, 4), best.);

Assuming that the word "day" is always in the variable "day".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

You're right about:

visitnum=.;

It serves no purpose here.  It might serve a purpose if VISITNUM were part of the incoming CHILDREN data set.  But we can see from the program that VISITNUM gets created within TRY.

The renaming and copying of CITY is designed to give CITY a longer length.  In CHILDREN, CITY has a length of 8.  It would be simpler to forget about the renaming and copying, and just add this statement instead:

length city $ 50;

That statement could go either before the INPUT statement that creates CHILDREN, or before the SET statement that creates TRY.  Most likely, the programmer tried to include it where it now appears, after the SET statement.  That would be an illegal statement, trying to re-set the length of a character variable after the SET statement has already assigned a length.  So the combination that you see was all that the programmer could figure out as a way to change the length of CITY.  But a properly placed LENGTH statement could have done the trick.

xiangpang
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks. The answer about length changing makes sense. I did not realize it before. 

Although visitnum not shown in CHILDREN dataset, but 'visitnum=.' must be meaningful here, since I could see a difference with original code (also not include visitnum). 

Again, thanks for answering the question.

Astounding
PROC Star

No, visitnum=. does nothing here.  If the program is actually more complex, and contains additional statements that you have removed, then it may serve a purpose.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

The reason for using rename and length to change the length of "city" is maintaining the order of variables. Order matters if, e.g., later in the program proc export is used and the order of variables in the exported file must not change.

The variable "i" should be removed from the keep statement, because it is not used in the datastep at all.

"visitnum=.;" would server a purpose if the author tried to extract the number from day, but wanted visitnum as numeric without using the proper converting function. Just guessing 😉

If there are more than three values possible for visitnum, replacing the if-then-logic with a single assignment will help keeping the code short:

visitnum = input(substr(day, 4), best.);

Assuming that the word "day" is always in the variable "day".

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation