BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sir_Highbury
Quartz | Level 8

I am runing the following macro

%macro macro_outliers (var=);

(...)

%if (vartype(base,&VAR.)='N') %then %do;
(...)
%end;
%else %do; %end;
%mend macro_outliers;

and I get the following error message:

ERROR: Required operator not found in expression: (vartype(base,&VAR.)='N')
ERROR: The macro MACRO_OUTLIERS will stop executing.

since the variable is numeric, the macro should not stop. what is wrong in the check on the variable type?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnHoughton
Quartz | Level 8

As Reeza & Kurt said, you need to use %sysfunc

See example 1 in http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000148443.htm

%if (%sysfunc(vartype(&dsid,&i)) = N) %then

If you want to change it to use the  %DATATYP autocall function, need to use the MAUTOSOURCE system option

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

You should post more of the code. 

Usually you need to wrap functions in %sysfunc() within macros  

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In a macro %if conditition, you can only use

- literals

- macro functions

- macro variables

To use a data step function, you need to wrap it into a %sysfunc (which is a macro function) call.

But in your case, I guess you are mistaken about what you can do.

The vartype function needs a numeric file handle reference to a dataset (coming from the open function) as its first parameter, which will only be present in the context of a running data step (keep in mind that macro processing always occurs in its own context).

I suggest that you apply the function in a data _null_ step inside your macro and use call symput to save the result in a macro variable, which can then be used in further macro logic.

Sir_Highbury
Quartz | Level 8

Dear experts,

I am trying to do something easy that in another language (e.g. R, Python) would be done typing maximum ten times on a keyboard, just a really short line: check the format of a variable in a macro.

I need a solution to do directly and easily what I need, thanks for your effort inhelping but please answer with a concrete, straighforward and  easy solutions (if you have it) proportional to the banality of the problem I am posting.

I did the following change but there is still something not working.

%if
/* (vartype(base,&VAR.)='N') */
%datatyp(&VAR.)=NUMERIC
%then %do;

JohnHoughton
Quartz | Level 8

As Reeza & Kurt said, you need to use %sysfunc

See example 1 in http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000148443.htm

%if (%sysfunc(vartype(&dsid,&i)) = N) %then

If you want to change it to use the  %DATATYP autocall function, need to use the MAUTOSOURCE system option

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The %datatyp autocall macro determines the datatype of a typical macro text expression (always keep in mind that the macro language is first and foremost a text processor!)

Therefore it is of utmost importance what the contents of &var are.

If &var contains a variable name, then that name will be the argument of %datatyp, which then will always return CHAR (SAS names are never pure numbers). If &var contains the name of another macro variable, using &&&var might do the trick.

If you want to determine the type of a dataset variable for further use in macro processing, use a data _null_ step.

Either OPEN the dataset and use the VARTYPE function, or extract the information from SASHELP.VCOLUMN, and then use call symput.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation