BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am trying to use the data step debugger within an rsubmit block and receiving and error message below. I am connecting to a unix server and am able to run sas code from within an rsubmit block but not the debugger, is there a way to do this?

2057 data _null_ /debug;
2059 do i = 1 to 12;
2060 x=i;
2061 end;
2063 putlog x=;
2064 run;

ERROR: Unable to initialize the DATA STEP Debugger environment.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 0.00 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

NOTE: Remote submit to MYNODE complete. ** I'm seeing that this question was asked earlier this year, sorry for the repost **

Message was edited by: mtd
4 REPLIES 4
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
You might want to check with Tech Support on this, but it was my understanding that you needed an interactive session in order to use the Data Step Debugger. RSUBMIT commands do a remote submit to SAS on a server -- so there is no interactive window to the server -- usually, your results come back to the location you specify.

If, for example, you are using SAS Enterprise Guide, you cannot use the Data Step Debugger:
http://support.sas.com/kb/10/681.html

I have always used the Debugger in interactive mode. I don't know whether there is a "batch" or non-interactive mode for the Debugger.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for your response. What I am really trying to do is run interactive sas on my pc using the debugger and point it at dataset(s) that are on a unix server. Or, if possible run some type of interactive sas session on the unix box via x-server or something similar running on my client (a pc). I can run data step / proc sql / proc XXXXXX within an rsubmit block against datasets on the unix box and direct output to my pc output window and log file but it will not invoke the debugger. I understand that I am connecting and executing a process on the unix server over tcp/ip so it seems like the debug would be something that could work. I'll check with support tho for sure. Message was edited by: mtd
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
If you rsubmit, you lose the interactive environment needed for the debugger.

If you want to "run interactive sas on my pc using the debugger and point it at dataset(s) that are on a unix server", you need to create a remote library, and you can use the debugger on the PC. Google sas rls.

If you want to "run some type of interactive sas session on the unix box via x-server", then your PC is not running sas, the server is, and you can use the debugger on the unix box.

In both cases, no rsubmit. You can't have rsubmit and interactive datastep debugger.
deleted_user
Not applicable
RLS does exaclty what I need, worked the first time. Thanks for your help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation