BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mingy
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, this might sound stupid, but i have been looking for the answer for last few hours, but I still can't figure this out. 

The following code shows how I define my 'agegroup' variable:

if i in (1, 5) then agegroup = '<30';
	else if i in (2, 6) then agegroup = '31-45';
	else if i in (3, 7) then agegroup = '46-60';
		else agegroup = '60+';

But my sas output eliminates the number after the dash:

2.PNG

I thought this might be a problem about variable type, but I am not sure anymore. I also tried to replace the single quote with double quote, but it isn't working. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

If you don't specify a length for a character variable it takes as its length the length of the first value assigned to it. In your case there must be a value of either 1 or 5 as the first value in the data so agegroup has a length of 3 ('<30').

You can correct this by adding

length agegroup  $5;

before your set statement

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

If you don't specify a length for a character variable it takes as its length the length of the first value assigned to it. In your case there must be a value of either 1 or 5 as the first value in the data so agegroup has a length of 3 ('<30').

You can correct this by adding

length agegroup  $5;

before your set statement

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@ChrisBrooks

"In your case there must be a value of either 1 or 5 as the first value in the data so agegroup has a length of 3 "

Variables get defined during the compilation phase and before data step iteration so what's in the data doesn't matter. The full reason for a length of 3 is, that this is the length of the first value assignment in the code:   then agegroup = '<30'

gamotte
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@ChrisBrooks gave you the explanation to your problem.

Instead of creating a new variable, you can use a format :

proc format;
	value agegroup
		1,5='<30'
		2,6='31-45'
		3,7='46-60'
		other='60+'
;
run;

proc print data=have;
	format i agegroup.;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation