BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have set up a sas program to runn automatically and create an XPT file. How can I update this xpt file name to have current date in the name in order to identify the xpt ?
Any suggestion would be helpful
10 REPLIES 10
ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
When you create the name of a data set or file say xxxx include the macro variable &sysdate (I prefer &sysdate9) in the name. Something like:

xxxx&sysdate9

If an extension is needed

xxxx&sysdate9..xpt (notice the double dot)
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Also, any SAS date format can be generated using %SYSFUNC with PUTN as shown below:

%let today_formatted = %sysfunc(putn(%sysfunc(today()),yymmddn8.));
%put _user_;

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
Too many %SYSFUNCs. The often neglected optional second parameter is

[pre]
4594 %let today_formatted = %sysfunc(today(),yymmddn8.);
4595 %put _user_;
GLOBAL TODAY_FORMATTED 20100817
[/pre]
deleted_user
Not applicable
%let today_formatted = %sysfunc(today(),date9.); is the format I am using, but how can I assign this in the trfile where it has to be created?
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks, but how do I assign this to the filename? for eg xpt name XXXXXX_&sysdate9...xpt should be create in filename trfile 'C:\SAS\XXXXXX_&sysdate9...xpt. Is this possible or there is some other means of doing it?
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
Are you wanting to add the date stamp to each SAS data set name this is added to the date stamped XPORT library?
deleted_user
Not applicable
No. only to the XPT file that will be created using cport. for eg my code is

%let today = %sysfunc(today(),date9.);
libname trData 'P:\SAS Programs\Datasets';
filename trFile 'P:\SAS Programs\Data\Datasets\Lm-LLO-E7-07_EXTRACT_&today...xpt' ;

proc cport library=trData file=trFile;
run;

Is my code correct for creating an XPT with date stamp?
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
> filename trFile 'P:\SAS Programs\Data\Datasets\Lm-LLO-E7-EXTRACT_&today...x> pt' ;

You need to use DOUBLE quotes so &today will be resolved.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks a lot. I just missed to try that simple step!!!! Thanks, anyways.

One more question:
How do we handle the missing values in a field(VSTMD) thats a varchar datatype and that has to be written into a numeric SAS date field? Since it is a "null" value, SAS considers as both character and numeric variable. How can this be resolved?
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
See reply to "How do we handle..." here:

http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=10841 Message was edited by: sbb

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation