BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8

I dont know how to resolve this:

NOTE: Remote signon to SNACIP01 commencing (SAS Release 9.01.01M3P020206).

NOTE: Script file 'tcptso.scr' entered.

ERROR: Did not understand remote session banner.

ERROR: A communication subsystem partner link setup request failure has occurred.

ERROR: Communication script processing aborted.

ERROR: Remote signon to SNACIP01 cancelled.

35 rsubmit snacip01;

ERROR: A link must be established by executing the SIGNON command before you can communicate

with SNACIP01.

ERROR: Remote submit to SNACIP01 cancelled.

I used the following to download the datasets from Mainframe to PC sas:

filename snacip01 'C:\Documents and Settings\ac43926\Desktop\tcptso.scr';
options remote=snacip01 compress=yes;

signon snacip01;
rsubmit snacip01;
LIBNAME rmtdata  "QINCQA.TST.RCAHMO.CATGCLMS.HEDIS10" disp=old;
PROC download DATA=rmtdata.hedis10 out=work.hedis10 ;
run;

endrsubmit;
signoff snacip01;

9 REPLIES 9
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Edit your .scr file and turn on TRACE and ECHO.  Normally the ones from SAS already have the

trace on;

echo on;

commands in them, but they are commented out.

If you do not see anything obviously wrong in the responses from your mainframe then open a ticket with SAS support and they should be able to help you more detail.

SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8

Uncommented trace on and echo on.

Opened ticket with SAS,

Neither was helpful.

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

if you show the text returned by the script dialog, we might recognise where the problem is.

SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8

NOTE: Remote signon to SNACIP01 commencing (SAS Release 9.01.01M3P020206).
NOTE: Script file 'tcptso.scr' entered.
ERROR: Did not understand remote session banner.
ERROR: A communication subsystem partner link setup request failure has occurred.
ERROR: Communication script processing aborted.
ERROR: Remote signon to SNACIP01 cancelled.
35   rsubmit snacip01;
ERROR: A link must be established by executing the SIGNON command before you can communicate
       with SNACIP01.
ERROR: Remote submit to SNACIP01 cancelled.
36   signoff snacip01;
NOTE: A link to SNACIP01 does not exist.  SIGNOFF is not necessary.

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

that extract from your log  is showing no screen from the server side of the signon dialog!

Please can you retry with an updated tsotcp having

ECHO ON

TRACE ON

near the start

and report what banner messages appear

Can you telnet to your mainframe?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I have never worked with TSO connection scripts, but most of the problems I have had with connecting to Unix, VMS, Windows machines have been either unexpected responses from the host or time-out issues.  For time-out issues you can increase the time that it waits for the next prompt.

For the others you can look at what your host is sending and see if you can figure out how to get to the right point to send the username, password, sas command etc.  So you might need to add some more waits to get past extra levels of prompts from the host. You might need to change the string that the script is waiting for because your system uses a different prompt.  Or the string you are waiting for is included in the banner message so SAS sends the response too early and the remote is not ready.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

A few questions:

Has your signon process ever worked or is this the first time you have tried to get it going?

Are there other SAS users at your site doing mainframe signons, and are they successful? If they are, check your settings with them to see what you are doing differently.

Most SAS sites using TCP connections no longer use script files for logging on, but use the non-script method instead. If my understanding is correct this requires the SAS spawner to be running so it can listen for connection requests, and then start SAS instead of the script file starting SAS.

Do you have the SAS spawner running on your mainframe or not? If it is running then you can bypass the use of script files.

If you have to use a script file, then it appears you need to customise it so that it recognises your mainframe welcome screen.

SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8

I'm the only one,or the first one to do this.

How do I know if SAS spawner is running on MF?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The spawner would have to be installed as a started task on the mainframe.

I would ask a friendly systems programmer how to look at MF started tasks.....

I also assume that SAS/CONNECT is installed and licenced on the MF.

If you can locate a MF SAS support person, and ask them if the SAS spawner was configured and set up that would also be useful.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation