DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

trouble with sysfunc and intnx in proc sql call

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor jab
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

trouble with sysfunc and intnx in proc sql call

I have some basic SAS code that I'm not trying to turn into a macro. I've taken the quotes off of the the first argument to avoid that error, but now I have a new one.

What is wrong with this?

This works just fine:

proc sql;

create table tester as

select distinct a.*, b.newvalue

from datasetabc as a, datasetxyz as b

where a.id = b.id

and month(a.date) = month(intnx('month',b.date,1)) and year(a.date) = year(intnx('month',b.date,1))

order by id, a.date;

quit;

However, when I put it inside a macro, this gives an error:

%macro test_intnx()

proc sql;

create table tester as

select distinct a.*, b.newvalue

from datasetabc as a, datasetxyz as b

where a.id = b.id

and month(a.date) = month(%sysfunc(intnx(month,b.date,1))) and year(a.date) = year(%sysfunc(intnx(month,b.date,1)))

order by id, a.date;

quit;

%mend();

%test_intnx();

Error:

ERROR: Argument 2 to function INTNX referenced by the %SYSFUNC or %QSYSFUNC macro function is not a

number.

ERROR: Invalid arguments detected in %SYSCALL, %SYSFUNC, or %QSYSFUNC argument list.  Execution of

%SYSCALL statement or %SYSFUNC or %QSYSFUNC function reference is terminated.

ERROR: Argument 2 to function INTNX referenced by the %SYSFUNC or %QSYSFUNC macro function is not a

number.

ERROR: Invalid arguments detected in %SYSCALL, %SYSFUNC, or %QSYSFUNC argument list.  Execution of

%SYSCALL statement or %SYSFUNC or %QSYSFUNC function reference is terminated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-24-2013 04:40 PM
Super User

Re: trouble with sysfunc and intnx in proc sql call

Why are you using %sysfunc in the macro version?

%sysfunc calls works fine when you call it using constants - you cannot pass arguments from the value of a SQL expression.

If your intention is just to put your SQL inside a macro, just skip the %sysfunc.

Why a macro? You are not passing any macro parameters...

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎04-24-2013 04:40 PM
Super User

Why are you using %sysfunc in the macro version?

%sysfunc calls works fine when you call it using constants - you cannot pass arguments from the value of a SQL expression.

If your intention is just to put your SQL inside a macro, just skip the %sysfunc.

Why a macro? You are not passing any macro parameters...

Data never sleeps
New Contributor jab
New Contributor

The macro parameter I'm changing was in the dataset b's name, I omitted it for simplicity to clearly show the problem I was having.

I thought I needed the %sysfunc there to correctly execute the intnx function - I thought it fixed a previous error (the SAS macro language still confuses me) but as you indicated, if I take it out, it works just fine. Thanks.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation