BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

I am looking for a templates modele to document a sas code.

I want to have by table :

I want to put a specifications like this :

Table Variable  rules  sources  ...

Any modele are welcomed

Thank you

15 REPLIES 15
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

I can not follow you.  What do you want or mean exactly??

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

an excel sheet with the variables name

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
It sounds like an excel sheet I use to build in new projects. I'm using that based on requirements and design to msp on detail level what source date should go to which target table/column.

But since we usually use DI Studio this document is used only during the project. The actual implementation is defined in the metadata.

So, you just create a excel sheet with the columnsame you need, that's not much more to it.

Perhaps you need an overview document to go with it that describes more complex rules/relationships, especially when theh are on table level (like describing transposing, complex joins, job dependencies etc).
Data never sleeps
LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you for your answer.

That's exactly what i want to do.

But as you say "Perhaps you need an overview document to go with it that describes more complex rules/relationships, especially when theh are on table level (like describing transposing, complex joins, job dependencies"

Yes, I need that. is there any modeles for that ?

I do not have a DI studio, but any documenntation are welcomed .

Thank you so much

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I think that every consultancy/sw provide/implementor have document templates for this.

I'm often uses templates from SAS Intelligence Platform Implementation methodology. But it's proprietary, and can be retrieved either by attending at training, or hiring SAS or SAS partner for an implementation.

If you can't find any material on the web or internally, just get started by putting all the subjects/titles you think you need to document your environment. Then you just update along the road.

You also use the word "model" which is great. Using information/Data/process models is a perfect way to document your system, sources and business processes.

Data never sleeps
LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you so much for your answer.

You have said " templates from SAS Intelligence Platform Implementation methodology. But it's proprietary, and can be retrieved either by attending at training, or hiring SAS or SAS partner for an implementation."

Any training or documentations are welcomed 

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@LinusH

Hi

I want to use "templates from SAS Intelligence Platform Implementation methodology."

Please, is there any name for that ? which sas services can give me more informations or documentation.

exist for sas 9.2 ?

Thank you

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
IPI is quite version independent.
Contact your SAS representative (sales person, TAM or whatever person you feel comfortable to contact at SAS) and they should be able to help you.
Data never sleeps
LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@LinusH

Thank you

I am waiting thier answers.

So for the IPI, I find this link : http://support.sas.com/training/px/psmeth.html who indicate  to visit this link   Global PSD Methodology Web site.

but it does not work.

So, what is the avantage of the IPI templates for implementation  on SAS DI studio ?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Well it has it sections where you can define the design for your ETL jobs. But it's merely titles and sample tables and pictures in there.
Data never sleeps
LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@LinusH

Thank you

you mean by "Well it has it sections where you can define the design for your ETL jobs. But it's merely titles and sample tables and pictures in there." the IPI templates ?   "the task" is it autmatic ?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Yes.
And oh no, definitely not the IPI templates.
The design document describes what should be done.
The maintenance doc describes what has been done, where you usually can reuse parts of the design doc.
In my mind try not to document either one too detailed otherwise they will be outdated quite soon.
Given that you have built your DI Studio jobs in good way, they should be near to self explanatory, hence little need for detailed documentation.
Data never sleeps
LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

So, If I have a dataset  tab (in projet 0 )contains a variable X0

X0=X1+X2+X3+X4

X1 in tab1(in projet 1), X1=X11+X12,.....

X2 in tab2(in projet 2),,.................

X3 in tab3(in projet 3),...................

X4 in tab4(in projet 4), .....................

So, there is a dependance beween the variables and tables, it can be more complex in my exemple.

As an exemple, If i want to study X0,  What is the sas product can show this dependence in reprting tables ( sas table or excel with graph)  ? 

even also to identify the variables called the X0   likes  M=X0+3, N=P*X0, .....

Thank you

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
When you say "project", are referring to Enterprise Guide projects? If that's the case, I'm not aware of any automatic tool for that.
Life becomes easier if you have ETL jobs in DI Studio where you have som possibilities to extract metadata information. Perhaps not exactly how you describe it.
Is this a current requirement or are trying to prepare for some future development?
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation