BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
devsas
Pyrite | Level 9

Good evening everyone! I have multiple tables named in the format - bankX_YYYYMM

Where X is name of bank (1,2.3 etc) and YYYY is year and MM is month. Each table has following variables

Account_no, registered(indicates if the account is registered), num_trans (number of transactions made during that month), spend (total spend during the time period)

1. I want to have a result which gives me total number of transactions and total spend for "Bank1" during the 4th quarter of 2009.

My code-

Proc sql;

Create table test as select sum(bank1_200909.num_trans, bank1_200910.num_trans, bank1_200911.num_trans, bank1_200912.num_trans) as total_transactions, sum(bank1_200909.spend, bank1_200910.spend, bank1_200911.spend, bank1_200912.spend) as total spend from bank1_200909, bank1_200910, bank1_200911, bank1_200912;
quit;

Is this correct?

2. What Proc sql query i can write to display the total number of transactions and total spend at "Bank1" and "Bank2", broken out by registered vs non-registered accounts, during jan 2010?

Thanks in advance. Please only PROC SQL solution, no data step or macros.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Something like this, perhaps:

Proc sql;
Create table test2 as 
select 
    registered,
    sum(num_trans) as total_transactions, 
    sum(spend) as total spend 
from 
select registered, num_trans, spend from bank1_201001
union all
select registered, num_trans, spend from bank2_201001
group by registered;
quit;

(Untested, maybe you need parentheses around the subqueries)

PG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarkWik
Quartz | Level 8

Can you please provide of data sample of your tables so that the community can work on and test their code responses. It only makes it so much more easier

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

1. I don't think the fourth quarter includes september.... But more importantly, your query creates the cartesian product of the tables. That's not what you want. You simply need to concatenate the tables. Something like this:

Proc sql;
Create table test as 
select 
    sum(spend) as total_spend 
from 
select num_trans, spend from bank1_200910
union all
select num_trans, spend from bank1_200911
union all
select num_trans, spend from bank1_200912;
quit;

(untested)

PG
devsas
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks PGStats. Yes, you are correct sept is not needed. Any idea on second part of my question? My guess is adding group by statement at the end of your query should suffice?
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Something like this, perhaps:

Proc sql;
Create table test2 as 
select 
    registered,
    sum(spend) as total spend 
from 
select registered, num_trans, spend from bank1_201001
union all
select registered, num_trans, spend from bank2_201001
group by registered;
quit;

(Untested, maybe you need parentheses around the subqueries)

PG
devsas
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks. Yes, perhaps parenthesis around the subqueries will be needed. I cannot test it as i dont have access to base sas currently

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation