BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JNWong
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I would like to subtra a string of characters ,as I have used find function to make position.

like substr(name,find(name,'in','i'),20),  since i want to substr from right to left.(start from the position that find function have made),

i have no idea about how to do that with the nesting find).

thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Have you tried the reverse function? It's easier if you set up a reversed value of your name variable. Like this:

data _null_;
name = "Valerie Adams";
reverse_name = reverse(name);
substring = substr(reverse_name, find(reverse_name, reverse("erie"), 'i'), 7);
put substring=;
run;

This looks for the substring eire (erie, reveresed) in the reversed string, then counts back 7 characters from that point - giving eirelaV. Then you can reverse that to give the answer you want.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Have you tried the reverse function? It's easier if you set up a reversed value of your name variable. Like this:

data _null_;
name = "Valerie Adams";
reverse_name = reverse(name);
substring = substr(reverse_name, find(reverse_name, reverse("erie"), 'i'), 7);
put substring=;
run;

This looks for the substring eire (erie, reveresed) in the reversed string, then counts back 7 characters from that point - giving eirelaV. Then you can reverse that to give the answer you want.

JNWong
Calcite | Level 5

Good Idea! I have solved my problem.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation