BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SAShole
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

i want a way to check to see if any variables in my named range are negative. is there a more efficient way of accomplishing this ?

data have;

input   (x1-x3) (2.);

cards;

0 1 2

1 -2 3

3 4 5

-1 0 2

2 2 2

3 3 -3   

;

run;

data want;

set have;

if x1<0 or

x2<0 or

x3<0;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

actually if using variable list, you can just do this:

data want;

set have;

if min(of x1-x3)<0 then output;

run;

Haikuo

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Use array() to save some typing if you have many vars:

data have;

input x1-x3;

cards;

0 1 2

1 -2 3

3 4 5

-1 0 2

2 2 2

3 3 -3 

;

run;

data want;

set have;

array x x1-x3;

do over x;

if x<0 then output;

end;

run;

proc print;run;

Regards,

Haikuo

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

actually if using variable list, you can just do this:

data want;

set have;

if min(of x1-x3)<0 then output;

run;

Haikuo

shivas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

Try this..

data have2(drop=i);

input   (x1-x3) (2.);

array xx(3) x1-x3;

do i = 1 to dim(xx);

if xx(i)<0 then output;

end;

cards;

0 1 2

1 -2 3

3 4 5

-1 0 2

2 2 2

3 3 -3  

;

run;

Thanks,

Shiva

Reeza
Super User

If you're outputting the whole row then check if the min is less than 0.

However this does require you to list your variables whereas in the array method you don't.

The where will process faster though.

data want;

set have;

where min(x1, x2, x3) <0;

run;

Astounding
PROC Star

It is likely to run faster if you switch from an IF to a WHERE statement.  (Whether you can notice the difference depends on characteristics of your data such as how many observations you are selecting, and how wide the observations are.)

If you know which variable(s) are most likely to be negative, you could switch the order around.  For example if X3 is usually the culprit, mention it first:

where x3 < 0 or x1 < 0 or x2 < 0;

Finally, notice that this code also selects missing values, not just negative numbers.

All of this is dependent on what you mean by "more efficient".  I've interpreted it to mean you want something that would run faster, but that's not the only possible definition.

Good luck.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Astounding , as he/she always, just raised valid point on dealing with missing value. So just add: if .<min(of x1-x3)<0 then;

However, from my own experience, it is NOT always that 'where' is faster then 'if'. If you are dealing with a big data set with more than half of the obs meeting condition, 'if' could be significant faster than 'where'. I have noticed this in numerous counts in my work. That being said, direct access is not always faster than 'sequential access'.

Just my 2 cents,

Haikuo

Reeza
Super User

You can't use the OF in a WHERE statement, but you can in the IF statement.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Didn't know that! Thanks! Right now, I mostly use 'where' in procs and index,  where you can't use 'if' or 'if' does not utilize index.

Regards,

Haikuo

MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

hi ... since MIN ignores missing values (unless all are missing), I don't think that you have to do this ... if .<min(of x1-x3)<0

to cover situations when all are missing, you could try just adding a non-negative value to the function arguments ...

data have;

input x1-x3 @@;

cards;

. 1 2   1 -2 3   3 4 .   -1 0 2   2 2 2   3 3 -3   . . .

;

data negative;

set have;

if min(of x:, 0) lt 0;

run;

x1    x2    x3

1    -2     3

-1     0     2

3     3    -3

SAShole
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks everybody for your input!

@Astounding, I should have said by efficient i mean not having to explicitly type out all vars between var1 & varX. in reality my data set has a named range with 100 fields.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation