BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Viveme789
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all!

I have a dataset at hand that looks like the following:

ID   MED1     MED2    MED3   MED4

1       892        384 .     454       345

2       802        394 .     434       233

3       852        384 .     334       599

I want to subset the dataset so that only patients with meds in {892, 334, 599, 384} remains. I don't want to repeat the list of 4 codes in all 4 variables in the data step. Can anyone show me how to do it? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

There are two approaches that work, there may be an easier one but IN didn't seem to work for me for two lists.

1. Create two arrays, loop through searching for a value, if found, output and exit the loop.

delete_array_method.JPG

The second approach transposes the data to a long format - much easier to use/query in the long run 🙂

Then you can either keep it long or you could use that list to generate back the same answer as the first method.

delete_transpose_diag.JPG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

Please don't post the same question multiple times. 

Are all your values numeric as in your example or are they character values?

Reeza
Super User

There are two approaches that work, there may be an easier one but IN didn't seem to work for me for two lists.

1. Create two arrays, loop through searching for a value, if found, output and exit the loop.

delete_array_method.JPG

The second approach transposes the data to a long format - much easier to use/query in the long run 🙂

Then you can either keep it long or you could use that list to generate back the same answer as the first method.

delete_transpose_diag.JPG

Viveme789
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you so much! That's an nice answer. 

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@Viveme789 Requesting you to please mark the question as answered and close the thread. Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation