BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Paul_NYS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Everyone

I have a very simple issue that I don't understand what the problem is. I have a data step that uses two 'if' statements and 'missing' to detect if another variable is present or not and populate another variable with a 'y' or 'n' flag based on this.

When I run this, the 'conferenced' variable always comes out 'n' when this is clearly not the case: there are many instances of 'ConfDate' having a date populated. Is there something really simple I am missing?

Paul

data tendayconf4

(rename=(cnty_name=County docno1=Docket start=PlaceStart stop=PlaceStop durat=TimeInCare

filing1=FilingDate adjud1=AdjudDate dur_adjud1=FilingToAdjud

dispo1=DispoDate dur_dispo1=FilingToDispo issuejoindate=IJDate

appearance_date=ConfDate IjDateConfDate=IJDateToConfDate Col3=Part));

length cnty_name $ 50 docno1 $ 20 CohortYear 4 start 8 stop 8 Status $ 50

durat 8 filing1 8 adjud1 8 dur_adjud1 8 dispo1 8

dur_dispo1 8 issuejoindate 8 appearance_date 8

IjDateConfDate 8 Col3 $ 50;

set tendayconf3;

if missing(ConfDate) then Conferenced="N";

if not missing(ConfDate) then Conferenced="Y";

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You "generate" the ConfDate variable when writing to the output dataset tendayconf4 (through renaming appearance_date).

"Inside" the data step it is still appearance date. The way you wrote that statement, ConfDate is always empty (because it most probably is not present in the input dataset).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You "generate" the ConfDate variable when writing to the output dataset tendayconf4 (through renaming appearance_date).

"Inside" the data step it is still appearance date. The way you wrote that statement, ConfDate is always empty (because it most probably is not present in the input dataset).

Paul_NYS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Kurt!! I am so stupid. Thanks again!

Paul

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You are renaming variables in the wrong place

data tendayconf4;

length cnty_name $ 50 docno1 $ 20 CohortYear 4 start 8 stop 8 Status $ 50 durat 8 filing1 8 adjud1 8 dur_adjud1 8 dispo1 8

dur_dispo1 8 issuejoindate 8 appearance_date 8 IjDateConfDate 8 Col3 $ 50;

set tendayconf3(rename=(cnty_name=County docno1=Docket start=PlaceStart stop=PlaceStop durat=TimeInCare

filing1=FilingDate adjud1=AdjudDate dur_adjud1=FilingToAdjud

dispo1=DispoDate dur_dispo1=FilingToDispo issuejoindate=IJDate

appearance_date=ConfDate IjDateConfDate=IJDateToConfDate Col3=Part));

if missing(ConfDate) then Conferenced="N";

if not missing(ConfDate) then Conferenced="Y";

run;

--
Paige Miller
INGODWETRUST
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Sorry for the bother, but just thought of adding an extra point in the understanding. Looking at Paigemiller and Kurt's response, I wanted to mention what happens in the PDV when SAS reads variables from an input dataset and when SAS writes variables to the output dataset. When you use any dataset option such as (rename= drop=) in the set statement, SAS executes or in your case renames these variables before the variables are brought into the PDV whereas when you use the same in the data statement, SAS just writes the renamed variables to the output dataset at the end of the exceution.

Also, using dataset option is very powerful as opposed to rename/drop statement in the datastep, it helps you filter and alter your needs at an early stage before the variables are read in the memory area PDV, thus saving a lot of execution time.

I hope that helps,

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation