BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

suppsose I have a variable string with value name1.

I would like to add to this string ***, like this the string becomes name1***.

I tried to do:

string = string ||"***";

but it didn't work, I had to create a dummy variable and do dummy = string ||"***"; and delete the original string and rename the dummy string. But is there a direct way to add a substring to an existing string without having recourse to dummy variables?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Post your exact code and log.  Note that your code above doesn't use the TRIM function.

Following the suggestions of assigning a long enough LENGTH and use of the TRIM function I can't replicate your issue. In general, I prefer the CAT family of functions since they trim automatically. I also find it easier to read.

data test;
	length a b $20.;
	input a $ b $;
	datalines;
14.793 15.697
;
run;

data test2;
	set test;
	a=trim(a)||"***";
	b=catt(b, "****");
run;

proc print data=test2;
run;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Astounding
PROC Star

You can do it directly:

string= trim(string) || '***';

You're running into trouble because STRING is already defined with a fixed length.  If you just concatenate without adding the TRIM function, the trailing blanks remain in place and there isn't room to add any more characters.

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

I am still getting errors, namely in the cases where I have strings which are made entirely of numbers, so if I have something like this: 14.793 and want to get 14.793*** I can't.

But when I do a = string||'***'; I get 14.793*** even without trimming.

Thank you! 

Reeza
Super User

Post your exact code and log.  Note that your code above doesn't use the TRIM function.

Following the suggestions of assigning a long enough LENGTH and use of the TRIM function I can't replicate your issue. In general, I prefer the CAT family of functions since they trim automatically. I also find it easier to read.

data test;
	length a b $20.;
	input a $ b $;
	datalines;
14.793 15.697
;
run;

data test2;
	set test;
	a=trim(a)||"***";
	b=catt(b, "****");
run;

proc print data=test2;
run;
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@ilikesas wrote:

I am still getting errors, namely in the cases where I have strings which are made entirely of numbers, so if I have something like this: 14.793 and want to get 14.793*** I can't.

But when I do a = string||'***'; I get 14.793*** even without trimming.

Thank you! 

If your original variable is defined as type character with a length of 6, and contains the value '14.793', then it cannot accept any further characters.

Since your new variable a is automatically defined by SAS with sufficient length (because you concatenate with a string literal, so SAS knows exactly how many characters are needed), it can take the whole new string.

Example:

data have;
string = '14.793';
run;

proc contents;run;

data want;
set have;
a = string !! '***';
run;

proc contents;run;

Partial output from the second proc contents:

Alphabetic List of Variables and Attributes

#    Variable    Type    Len

2    a           Char      9
       1    string      Char      6
Astounding
PROC Star

That result is misleading.  It would occur when STRING is actually a numeric variable, not a character variable.  There is no way to add "***" to the value fo a numeric variable (although a format might be able to get it to print with "***" at the end).  When your original variable is character, you won't get any errors.

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

That is my case - I get errors that my variable is numeric, although I did try to convert it to character in the following way:

estimate = put(estimate,12.3.);

Astounding
PROC Star

Once ESTIMATE is defined as numeric, it remains numeric.  Forever.  Yes, the PUT function generates a character string, but SAS then has to store those characters in a numeric variable, so SAS converts the character string to numeric.

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

So yes, the only way to make ESTIMATE character is to create a new character DUMMY variable, make it equal ESTIMATE, delete the original ESTIMATE and then rename DUMMY to ESTIMATE. That is what I did in the very beginning, but I just thought if there was another way to make it directly. I accepeted as a solution the post where the string and catt functions are shown, making it more useful for future readers.

Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 4 in conversation