BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CP2
Pyrite | Level 9 CP2
Pyrite | Level 9

ok. can you back up a bit. what is the best way to get the value counts from drug1 assuming we know the var_lst ? your second proc sql from your original post is creating separate variable. Is there quick step to get a list of values from separate variables? I got the list for the expected values but it took a few steps to get each value then concatenate them into a column and then used proc sql with into: to get the list. Originally when I got to the step where I needed to determine the condition (actual < expected) I was getting the actual variable by variable. Your newest proc sql sounds like what I need but I first need to get the full list of actuals. 

Astounding
PROC Star

I'm not certain that creating a list of actual values is necessary.  But if it is, here is a way it can be done.  Assuming that macro variables already exist as detailed earlier (&VARCount=3, &VAR_LST=age gender type, plus &AGE, &GENDER, and &TYPE holding actual counts):

%local actual_counts;

%do k=1 %to &varCount;

%let next_name = %scan(&var_lst, &k);

%let actual_counts = &actual_counts &&&next_name;

%end;

CP2
Pyrite | Level 9 CP2
Pyrite | Level 9

only the expected variable list and expected values exist (the actual variable list starts out equal to the expected variable list in this example). The actual number of distinct values/levels for each variable in the drug1 dataset needs to be created. If a condition is met (actual < expected) for that variable then the associated variable needs to be removed from the original list. 

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's an approach that skips part of the list creation.  It builds a smaller list ... just those variable names that have actual values less than expected values.  Start with your original 3 %LET statements.  Then ...

%local less_than_expected;

proc sql;

%do k=1 %to &varCount;

select count(distinct %scan(&var_lst, &k)) into : actual from drug1;

%if &actual < %scan(&expected, &k) %then %let less_than_expected = &less_than_expected %scan(&var_lst, &k);

%end;

quit;

I'm not sure if I'm helping by showing this or not.  Basically, the SELECT statement in SQL executes immediately, and so &ACTUAL is immediately available for use in the next statement.  It doesn't work that way when you switch from SQL to a DATA step, however.

Are we getting closer to the target here?  I realize we still need to utilize &LESS_THAN_EXPECTED.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation