BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fengyuwuzu
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello, everyone

My variable birth_info has yyyy-mm format, and when I imported it into SAS, it was automatically converted to 01MMYY 00:00:00 format.

Is there a way to control the import format?

I actually want to use 15th of the month instead of the 1st day of the month as the day to calculate the ages. What is the easy way to replace all "01"s in the 01MMYY new date to "15"?

Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
intnx the variable.

new_var=intnx('day', variable, 15);

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
intnx the variable.

new_var=intnx('day', variable, 15);
fengyuwuzu
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you for the quick reply.
It works and I got the age correctly.
Astounding
PROC Star

It's important to understand what the variable actually contains.  From  your description, it looks like it is a numeric date-time variable.  If so, this will convert it to the proper date, while moving from the 1st to the 15th:

birth_info = datepart(birth_info) + 14;

format birth_info yymmdd10.;

After this, you will have a date variable (no longer date-time).

Try printing a few records after making the change, and see if the results look right.  If they're not right, we'll have to get a better handle on what the variable actually contains (results from PROC CONTENTS, results from PROC PRINT with all formats removed).

fengyuwuzu
Pyrite | Level 9
Yes, 14 is the number to use if I want to replace with 15. Below are my codes:
new_birth=intnx('day', datepart(Birth_info), 15);
age = round(yrdif(new_birth, datepart(Registration_Time),'AGE'),0.1);
format new_birth mmddyy10.;
Astounding
PROC Star

You'll have to see which code gives you the right result.  I don't think that my answer and Reeza's answer are compatible (although I could be proven wrong).  I assumed you had a date-time, and I think Reeza assumed you had a date.  So check the results and see which one is working properly.

fengyuwuzu
Pyrite | Level 9
In my .csv file I have yyyy-mm format date variable, and when I imported into SAS, it became 01MMYY 00:00:00 format.

I got the ideas from both of you so I think I am okay. Thank you again!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation