BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AlexMoreton
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I am trying to remove a part of text in my xml file. As it is a massive string, I will just show a part of it. I wanted to remove the characters in BOLD so it just looks like this:

<Row >
<Cell <Data ss:Type="String"><interview><rulebook><name>ALE_UW</name><version>ALEX UW - 1.1</version></rulebook><createdDate>2017-10-23 13:51:30.554

TURN IT INTO 

<interview><rulebook><name>ALE_UW</name><version>ALEX UW - 1.1</version></rulebook><createdDate>2017-10-23 13:51:30.554

The code I have for it right now (i got it from the internet) looks like this:

data Replace ;

FILE "D:\XMLCol_Replace.xml" RECFM=N;

infile "D\XMLCol_TRY.xml" RECFM=N;

input VAR1 $CHAR1. @;

IF VAR1 eq '<Row > *this is a carriage return which needs to be deleted too;    * it only has one variable (which is the string itself);
<Cell <Data ss:Type="String">' THEN

input VAR1 $CHAR1. @;

*end;

put '';
*end;
*else PUT VAR1 $CHAR1. ;
run;

I'd appreciate any pointers, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

It would be easy if you only want delete these two words and your file is NOT stream file.

data Replace ;

FILE "D:\XMLCol_Replace.xml";

infile "D\XMLCol_TRY.xml";

input ;

IF _infile_ =: '<Row > ' then delete;
if  _infile_ =:  '<Cell <Data ss:Type="String">' THEN _infile_=substr(_infile_,40);

put _infile_;

run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Am just looking back through your questions, to be honest I think the best course of action for you is to get a proper XML editor.  SAS isn't really the tool to be doing XML editing, it is used for manipulating and analysing datasets.  There are a lot of free XML editors out there, and a lot of paid ones, which will make editing, updating mixing up XML files a lot easier as they are built specifically for the datafile type.

AlexMoreton
Obsidian | Level 7

RW9, I know man...

But this is an assignment for my class and for some reason these parts must be done via SAS. Apparently then I need to be able to deal with this with more observations (more similar strings). Which I'm not sure if XML editor can be efficient if it has to be done manually while observations are in the hundreds... If i'm wrong please let me know. Thank you.

I've downloaded xmlnotepad to have a go already.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Can you post the actual XML file?  Also, where did you get the file, normally XML files would have end of line characters, and its likely that if you got it from a unix based system to windows, or vice versa the terminating characters are different.  I.e. you should be able to read a line, and check it against your rules, then write it out.

Ksharp
Super User

It would be easy if you only want delete these two words and your file is NOT stream file.

data Replace ;

FILE "D:\XMLCol_Replace.xml";

infile "D\XMLCol_TRY.xml";

input ;

IF _infile_ =: '<Row > ' then delete;
if  _infile_ =:  '<Cell <Data ss:Type="String">' THEN _infile_=substr(_infile_,40);

put _infile_;

run;

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

If you just remove the part

<Row >
<Cell <Data ss:Type="String">

then the XML file still contains the closing tags for </Cell> and </Row>, your xml file is not well formatted, which makes it more difficult for further processing.

Maybe it is better to use the XMLV2 libname engine with the proper map file to process the file.

SAS also provides Proc XSL which allows you to work with a XSLT to change your XML file to a different structure

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation