BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
buckeyefisher
Obsidian | Level 7

I am using EG 4.3. I have a field heading 'Date Founded'  (it has a space in between) that contains dates in the input excel sheet. I am not supposed to touch the input excel sheet.

Is there a way to access this field in SAS EG? I tried VALIDVARNAME = ANY option to ignore spaces but my data step is not recognizing the field. The program does not give error, simply ignores calculation in the data step.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dsbihill
Obsidian | Level 7

You can access the variable by typing it like this.  This will tell sas that it is a name litteral.

'Date Founded'n

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

How did you bring the data into SAS? Proc import if using the file column headers to provide variable names generally turn all spaces and special characters to underscores. I would expect the variable name to be Date_founded.

buckeyefisher
Obsidian | Level 7

no, it did not convert the input fields, I used proc import

proc import datafile= 'file A'

dbms=xls out=A replace;

sheet="xyz";

run;

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I would suspect then as you don't have getnames=yes; option, that it has been read in using default names for the columns, e.g. col1 col2 etc.

dsbihill
Obsidian | Level 7

You can access the variable by typing it like this.  This will tell sas that it is a name litteral.

'Date Founded'n

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation