DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

readable datetime format

New Contributor

readable datetime format

All existing SAS datetime formats, as for as I know, is not easy for me to read.

Such as 1447213759 datetime with datetime21.2 format will be shown as 10NOV2005:03:49:19.00.

And I have to define a new format as below to make it looks like 2005-11-10 03:49:19.

PROC FORMAT;
picture MyDT other='%0Y-%0m-%0d %0H:%0M:%0S' (datatype=datetime);
RUN;

Then I will have to define the format in all my sas codes, otherwise, the dataset I created with this format will not be shown correctly.

I really want to know why SAS does not create a more readable datetime format like the one above.

Contributor

Re: readable datetime format

I can't answer your question, but I really like your code snippet! I printed it out and posted it at my desk.

Super User

Look at the E8601 family of formats, they implement the ISO 8601 norm.

jjjch wrote:

All existing SAS datetime formats, as for as I know, is not easy for me to read.

Such as 1447213759 datetime with datetime21.2 format will be shown as 10NOV2005:03:49:19.00.

And I have to define a new format as below to make it looks like 2005-11-10 03:49:19.

PROC FORMAT;
picture MyDT other='%0Y-%0m-%0d %0H:%0M:%0S' (datatype=datetime);
RUN;

Then I will have to define the format in all my sas codes, otherwise, the dataset I created with this format will not be shown correctly.

I really want to know why SAS does not create a more readable datetime format like the one above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super User

Put the Format in a permanent library and then have that library in the format search path.

Or put the code into the autoexec.sas so it is available in every session.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation