DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

re: character date tonumeric date

Accepted Solution Solved
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

re: character date tonumeric date

Hi...I am trying to convert a character date to numeric date. The character date is in the formate of weekdate17. I can't seem to get it converted.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎05-31-2016 07:37 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: re: character date tonumeric date

Then go for:

SASdate = input(cats(scan(myDate,3), scan(myDate, 2), scan(myDate, 4)), date9.);

PG

View solution in original post

All Replies
Respected Advisor

Try

SASdate = input(cats(substr(myDate,10, 2), substr(myDate, 6, 3), substr(myDate,14, 4)), date9.);

PG
Super User

You may need to provide some actual examples. This example may give you a starting point.

data junk;
   x= 'Tuesday, June 1, 2016';
   y=input(substr(x,index(x,' ')),anydtdte15.);
   format y mmddyy10.;
run;

Regular Contributor

HI PGStats/Ballardw......Thanks for both your suggestions. I tried both of them and they gave me the exact same results with one problem. When the date had a single interger for the day number in the date ( Thu. May 7, 2015) , it produced a blank space otherwise worked perfect. Thanks

Super User

We would have to see your data and the actual code you ran to see what was generating the space.

I can't duplicate the issue with your Thu. May 7, 2015 example even inserting an additional space into the input between the month and the day of the month. It may be you have some sort of non-printable character or a double-byte conversion issue.

Solution
‎05-31-2016 07:37 PM
Respected Advisor

Then go for:

SASdate = input(cats(scan(myDate,3), scan(myDate, 2), scan(myDate, 4)), date9.);

PG
☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation