BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
metallon
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi SAS Experts,

My problem is that the tabulated table is not sorted how I would like to i.e. sorting by haupt_kat, unter_kat and zeitraum.

I searched for a while and came accross instructions to use the FORMAT in combination with PROC TABULATE.

But that did not do the trick either. haupt_kat and unter_kat are sorted BUT zeitraum isnt.

Any suggestions from your side are very welcome.

I have the following code:

proc format;

value $zeitraum

0 = '7.11.2013'

1 = '8.11.2013'

2 = '30.6.2014'

;

RUN

;

proc tabulate data=daten.daten601 order=formatted;

class haupt_kat unter_kat zeitraum;

var normmw anz_nnnb anz_b sgü rwsgalt rwsgneu;

table haupt_kat='Hauptkategorie'*unter_kat='Unterkategorie'*zeitraum='Zeitraum',

N='Anzahl' anz_nnnb='Anzahl NN/NB'*f=4.0;

Format zeitraum $zeitraum.;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Modify the format. By default in character values (the formatted) 3 comes before 7 and 8 even when part of "number" like 30. Putting a space before the 7 and 8 will have the 3 after blank.

OR since these look like date values it may have been better to create a date value to begin with then the order generally works as well as allowing change of format with sas supplied date formats to create groups base on weeks, months, quarters and other intervals with custom formats.

proc format;

value $zeitraum

0 = ' 7.11.2013'

1 = ' 8.11.2013'

2 = '30.6.2014'

;

RUN

;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Best to search for posts.  Here is one which may help:

ballardw
Super User

Modify the format. By default in character values (the formatted) 3 comes before 7 and 8 even when part of "number" like 30. Putting a space before the 7 and 8 will have the 3 after blank.

OR since these look like date values it may have been better to create a date value to begin with then the order generally works as well as allowing change of format with sas supplied date formats to create groups base on weeks, months, quarters and other intervals with custom formats.

proc format;

value $zeitraum

0 = ' 7.11.2013'

1 = ' 8.11.2013'

2 = '30.6.2014'

;

RUN

;

metallon
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi ballardw,

I tried the following

proc format;

value $zeitraum

0 = '  from 7.11.2013'

1 = ' to 8.11.2013'

2 = 'from 30.6.2014'

;

RUN

;

but that did not work. Sorry, I forgot that I have prefixed the dates with from and to so they are character varialbes. I thought

the sorting would happen by the values 0,1 or 2

metallon
Pyrite | Level 9

got it

proc format;

value $zeitraum

'bis 7.11.2013' = ' bis 7.11.2013'

'vom 8.11.2013' = ' vom 8.11.2013'

'vom 30.6.2014' = 'vom 30.6.2014'

;

RUN

;

sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Possibly these values for zeitraum are dates? If so, then maintain SAS numeric DATE variables, sort on that variable name, and apply a suitable SAS numeric FORMAT for the desired date-format.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

You want to use order=internal for that variable.  You can put the order option on the class statement and use more than one class statement. RTM

proc format;

value $zeitraum

0 = '7.11.2013'

1 = '8.11.2013'

2 = '30.6.2014'
       ;
   RUN;

data daten601;
   do zeitraum = '0','1','2';

output;

end;

run;
proc tabulate;

class zeitraum / order=internal;
   tables zeitraum;
   format zeitraum $zeitraum.;

run;
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Sounds like OP wants some class vars to have ORDER= FORMATTED and others INTERNAL.

We do this as CLASS  statement options.

Then two CLASS statements solve the problem much cleaner (and clearer) than special user formats

(imho)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 6 in conversation