BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mariopellegrini
Pyrite | Level 9

I can not understand why the next proc sql update values missing "var1" at c1 = 2 and c2 = 2 (update key). The resulting value is missing. I expected it to remain unchanged at 20

data A;
input c1 c2 var1 var2;
datalines;
1 1 12 32
1 2 32 21
2 1 12 98
2 2 20 30
2 3 11 11
3 1 21 22
4 1 31 32
2 4 22 22
6 1 77 77

;

data tmp;
input c1 c2 var1 var2;
datalines;
1 1 999 999
1 2 888 999
2 1 999 999
;

proc sql;
update  a 
   set var1=(select var1 from tmp as b
		         	where a.c1=b.c1 and a.c2=b.c2)

where a.c1 in (select c1 from  tmp) and
          a.c2 in (select c2 from  tmp) 
		  ;

quit;
7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

update in SQL does not behave like update in a data step. Since your subquery produces a missing value, that missing value is set. Use the coalesce() function to keep the original value if the subquery yields no result.

mariopellegrini
Pyrite | Level 9

I do not understand, which missing value produces the subquery? at c1 = 1, c2 = 1 --- c1 = 1, c2 = 2 --- c1 = 2, c2 = 1 there are 3 lines corresponding to the values 12,32 - 32,21 - 12 98

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

There is no observation in dataset tmp with c1=2 AND c2=2, so the subquery can't find a value for that combination, which is present in observation 4 of dataset A, where the value 20 is overwritten with the missing value from the subquery.

mariopellegrini
Pyrite | Level 9

ok, but all other combinations do not have values in the sub query (example for c1 = 3, c2 = 1). In these cases, however, the values of dataset A remain unchanged. Only for c1 = 2, c2 = 2 is updated to missing the value of var1

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Because your where condition at the end of the query:

where a.c1 in (select c1 from  tmp) and
          a.c2 in (select c2 from  tmp) 

prevents the update from even touching those. But you do have at least one c1=2 and one c2=2 in tmp, so the combination of c1=2 and c2=2 is updated.

If you want to prevent this from happening, you best create a compound key (ie c3 = c1*100 + c2) in both datasets and join on that.

mariopellegrini
Pyrite | Level 9

ok I understand, thank you. but this would slow down the processing if it were large databases. Is not there a different method?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When I know that I will need a specific derived value later, I set it when such a dataset is created.

Intelligent data makes for intelligent programs.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation