BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
adityaa9z
Obsidian | Level 7

Below is the input DS

data a;
input name $ sal ;
cards;
a 100
a 400
a 200
b 100
b 100
b 300
c 300
c 300
;
run;

I want output like below using proc sql

data a;
input name $ sal  rank;
cards;
a 100 1
a 400 2
a 200 3
b 100 1
b 100 2
b 300 3
c 300 1
c 300 2
;
run;

Second question :

I want to pull every second highest using proc sql.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

I agree with @Reeza. The monotonic function will work as desired (if you use a group by clause), but there are no guarantees that it will always work that way since its not supported:

data a;
  input name $ sal  rank;
  cards;
a 100 1
a 400 2
a 200 3
b 100 1
b 100 2
b 300 3
c 300 1
c 300 2
;
run;

proc sql noprint;
  create table want as
    select *, monotonic() as rank
      from a
        group by name
  ;
quit;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Assuming data is in the right order, you can do it in one step, no need SQL at all:

data a;
input name $ sal ;
retain rank 0  old_name ' ';
If name ne old_name then do;
   rank=0 old_name=name;
end;
rank+1;
cards;
a 100
a 400
a 200
b 100
b 100
b 300
c 300
c 300
;
run;
Reeza
Super User

https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/faq/how-can-i-create-an-enumeration-variable-by-groups/

If you really want SQL look at the monotonic() function though I'm not sure how that works with BY groups. SQL doesn't respect row order though so you need to be careful and test it. 

art297
Opal | Level 21

I agree with @Reeza. The monotonic function will work as desired (if you use a group by clause), but there are no guarantees that it will always work that way since its not supported:

data a;
  input name $ sal  rank;
  cards;
a 100 1
a 400 2
a 200 3
b 100 1
b 100 2
b 300 3
c 300 1
c 300 2
;
run;

proc sql noprint;
  create table want as
    select *, monotonic() as rank
      from a
        group by name
  ;
quit;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

What you want is, by definition, not really doable with SQL. What you want is a variable named RANK which is just the arbitrary order of data within your table, not the order as defined by some other variables.

It is possible to get the results you want in SQL in most SAS editions, provided that your data is created like your example dataset:

proc sql;
  select name,sal,r-min(r)+1 as rank from(
  select name,sal,monotonic() as r
  from a)
  group by name
  order by 1,3
  ;

But this depends on using the order of the data in the input table - by definition, a SQL table is not ordered and does not have to be delivered to a query in physical order when using SQL. This means that if you do the above, you may get the result you want when doing the query against a simple SAS table; if you use another type of libname, be it MS-SQL, Oracle, Hadoop or some SAS server, there is no guarantee that you will get the data in that order. Your query is by definition indeterministic, meaning that you are not guaranteed to get the same results every time.

On the other hand, if you wanted the RANK variable to mirror the ranking of SAL within NAME, it is possible:

proc sql;
  from a order by name,sal)
  group by name
  order by 1,3
  ;

- the difference being the ORDER BY clause in the inner query. But this means that the lowest SAL for a NAME would get RANK=1, etc (use DESC if you want the highest SAL having RANK=1), not the data you showed us as you desired output.

The MONOTONIC() function is still (I think) not documented in SAS SQL, but it will probably not change.

In other SQL dialects, such as Oracle or MS, you would use a RANK summary function or similar to get the rank, something like:

select name,sal,rank over (partition by name order by sal) as rank 
  order by 1,3
  ;

but SAS SQL still has not gotten around to that. And note that you will have to have an ORDER BY in the definition of RANK, as SQL tables are by definition not ordered beforehand.

To be sure that you get what you want, you will have to use a SAS datastep:

Data b;
  do rank=1 by 1 until(last.name);
    set a;
by name; output; end; run; proc sql; select name,sal,rank from b; quit;

Although I would advise against using the form at all, you can get the records with RANK=2 from the first, indeterministic(!) query by using a HAVING clause:

proc sql;
  from a)
  group by name
  having rank=2
  order by 1
  ;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation