proc sql;
 create table want as
 select date, dea (dec.id=tap.id) as indic,
 (dec.id ~=".") as decid,
 (tap.id ~=".") as tapid,
 coalesce (dec.id, tap.id) as id
 from dec full join tap on dec.id=tap.id;
 quit;

I have two datasets that I want to merge. dataset dec has 240000 obs, dataset tap has 14000 obs. They do have 13000 in common.

I want to merge these two. My above code can generate a table, but cannot keep all these columns that I need.

I can keep all columns and all obs, that is 24000. 

I have 40 varibles, that I prefer to keep 15 variables of these 40 from dataset tap , and want to keep 5 varibles from dec. So it is not wise to type. Among them, some IDs are common.

Can anybody give advice?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you use SQL, you have no option but to type each variable name, unless you just use *.

An option around this constraint is to use the keep= data set option to reduce the number of variables.

keep= allows you to use the colon, dash and double-dash list shortcuts such as    VAR:   or   VAR1-VAR10    or   VARA--ID .

If you use a data step merge instead of SQL, you have more flexibility in terms of implicitly naming variables, and you can monitor and count which observations for which table are kept or dropped.

Bal23
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks. But the problem is, I want to keep COALESCE function, and I want to keep all these 240000 obs

if I just use a regular full join, I do not know how to add coalesce funtion,

when i use

on a.ID=b.ID, I am afriad that I lose obs

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

This reply is very confusing:

-  the coalesce function is not used for the join

- you already use   on a.id = b.id

Please provide an example with 5-record input tables and the expected output.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation