DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

proc format can't create format catalog under libref using university edition

Occasional Contributor

proc format can't create format catalog under libref using university edition

I used the below code to create permanent format using university edition, the log has no problem. 

proc format library=orion.MyFmts cntlin=country;
run;

But I can't see the catalog create under the orion, I deleted the library=orion.MyFmts, it still doesn't create format catalog uner work.

I don't know whehter it's because of university editon. can anyone help? Thanks!
Super User

Re: proc format can't create format catalog under libref using university edition

Library are single level so try including only Orion after library, not Orion.myfmt

See examples here

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/library/formats.htm

Occasional Contributor

Re: proc format can't create format catalog under libref using university edition

It's not working either if only including Orion. It suppose create format catalog.
Super User

What does not working mean? 

Do you get errors? If so, post the log. 

Super User

Reeza wrote:

Library are single level so try including only Orion after library, not Orion.myfmt

See examples here

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/library/formats.htm

My bad, catalogs are referenced in the manner used, ie libname.catalog_name

Super User

I'm also not sure SAS UE shows catalog, so check for the presence using PROC datasets. 

Super User
Super User

Are you sure your input control dataset is in the proper format for creating formats? 

What happens if you just define you formats using a VALUE statement instead?

Occasional Contributor

Actually, it does create the format catalog, when using below code

proc format library=orion.MyFmts fmtlib;
select $country;
run;

proc format library=orion.MyFmts fmtlib;
select $country;
run;

you can see the results. And when you used the format, it works. But just can't show up under the liberary. 

Super User

Format libraries use a default catalog name.  You are overriding that by specifying the two-level name.  When creating the format, just specify library=orion, instead of library=orion.MyFmts and that should put the new format into the default library.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation