BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
magic_q
Calcite | Level 5

I have search this problem online but haven't found a solution, and it is really a big problem that gets me stuck.

It is not the problem about programming but its about the software. 

For example, if I select the word "assignment/' " in program editor, the word will disappear and be replaced by and symbol "L". Whatever I choose, this problem occurs. This is a really frustrated problem, because I usually need to select codes to do something in the editor.

2016-04-15_214641.png

Any suggestion is very appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
ballardw
Super User

Which version of SAS, Base, University Edition, Enterprise guide? Operating system?

And how are you selecting? Double click with mouse, hold down mouse key and drag, hold shift key down and use arrow keys to highlight? Or somethinge else.

I am assuming this is a SAS supplied editor. If not the case then this may not be the place to ask...

magic_q
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you, ballardw. I think a lot of SAS experts here, so I may quickly get my problem solved. I also don't know another place that I can ask. This is a really big problem that stops me to write code.

I use Enterprise guide and my operating system is windows 10. I select the words by mouse, and I think its not the problem of using operating system or the way you choose the words. because this problem have occured in two different operating systems respectively.
ballardw
Super User

@magic_q wrote:
I use Enterprise guide and my operating system is windows 10. I select the words by mouse, and I think its not the problem of using operating system or the way you choose the words. because this problem have occured in two different operating systems respectively.

When a problem exists in more than one environment then look for what is common. Your problem is NOT common so is likely related to something in your set up. If you up graded from Windows 7 or 8 to 10 on the same hardware then it is likely that the issue persists because of something maintained across upgrade. I would probably start with investigating the Mouse and mouse settings, especially if you have a scroll wheel that allows clicking. Since your response indicates the problem happens inconsistently then changes in pressure or timing of clicks can get different behaviors out of many mice and the more buttons/controls you can activate simulataneously the more likely you are to have an issue. I would start by disabling everything in mouse settings except a simple two button mouse and possibly make sure the the click settings have moderatly long intervals for interpretting two clicks as a double click.

If you have a mouse driver/app supplied by the mouse maker ensure that you have the latest driver for the righ operating system.

magic_q
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you. But if I don't use my mouse to select and instead I just use the touch panel, the same problem occures. I don't set up anything because I use remote access SAS software which is offered by my university.
ballardw
Super User

@magic_q wrote:
Thank you. But if I don't use my mouse to select and instead I just use the touch panel, the same problem occures. I don't set up anything because I use remote access SAS software which is offered by my university.

Talk to who ever is doing the maintenance and set up.

You have now introduced the possibility of network connectivity issues as a cause.

Reeza
Super User

How are you accessing it remotely? 

Is EG installed and you connect to a remote server, or do you log in to a portal? 

Also, is Windows 10 your machine or the version where your University has the software installed? 

Hopefully You see there's a lot of moving parts to your issue so it's unlikely you'll get an answer. I have a suspicion though which is why I'm asking all of these questions. 

magic_q
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you.

It is connected to a remote server, and open the SAS software together with an app Citrix Receiver. Normally there is no problem, and most of the time we can use SAS software smoothly, but this problem occured yesterday, and I can't use it until now. windows 10 is my machine

If I open a new editor, it's weird that there is an symbol  "L" on the left-upper corner, and If I try to type something and then select them, then the part selected will become and "L" again.

2016-04-16_082945.png

magic_q
Calcite | Level 5
Did I make my question clear? I think it maybe difficult to image the situation if you haven't come across such problem before. I come up an idea that takes a short video to show this problem and send to your Email if you are willing to help, but if not, it is OK.
magic_q
Calcite | Level 5
I think it is a general problem, because I came across it for several times but it does not occur regularly, and I have never found the solution.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Clearly there is something messed up in the touchpad device driver that is either sending spurious characters or just sending informaiton that SAS/EG cannot figure out and interprets as keystrokes.  So you get the work highlighted and then it sees the new (spurious) key stroke and it replaces the highlighted text with the keystrokes.

Try attaching an actual mouse and see if you can get it to work.

If you are using remote access software to run SAS/EG (which requires a Windows machine) then it is possible that the issue is that the remote access software is not translating the mouse/touchpad operations correctly and that it has nothing to do with either your touchpad or the operation of SAS/EG.

magic_q
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you, Tom. I record my problem as a video and post it on youtube: https://youtu.be/J3G6KcsnBxQ
Then it may be clearer that you know what the problem is.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation