BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
helloSAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I want to prefix field values with a tab. (NOTE: It cannot be spaces). Currently I'm using below logic.  Field "Sep" should have a vlaue of tab.

Data test;

set qa_accts;
sep=' '; /*** THIS SHOULD BE TAB ***/
ends=''; /** THIS SHOULD BE SPACE **/
var1='V$_dpd';
dpd = actual_dpd;
ltr_variable_data = catx(sep,var1,dpd,ends);

run;

4 REPLIES 4
Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16

Please try tab space with "09"x

Data test;
set qa_accts;
sep='"09"x; /*** THIS SHOULD BE TAB ***/
ends=''; /** THIS SHOULD BE SPACE **/
var1='V$_dpd';
dpd = actual_dpd;
ltr_variable_data = cat(sep,var1,dpd,ends);
run;

, but again if you are concatenating the variables with catx function, this function will strip the blank spaces in the new variable created i.e., ltr_variable_data. so the best way to avoid it is just use cat function instead of catx. It does not strip or trim the spaces and keeps the spaces as is in the new variable.

Thanks,
Jag
helloSAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks! I used cat function but var1 is having trailing blanks. How to remove them?

Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16
Yes i agree with @Reeza, you could use either of the functions to remove the trailing blanks
Thanks,
Jag

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation