BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7 KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7

I am running SAS University Edition release 3.4 on the Oralcle VirtualBox.

I am trying to set up a library linked to a MSAccess database with the following statement:

libname testDB pcfiles path="/folders/myfolders/some.mdb";

and get the following error:

ERROR: The SERVER= option is required for establishing a connection through the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files.
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

How do I set up the pcfile server when using SAS University edition?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
You cannot use the PCFILES server with SAS University Edition. Look at this similar question in the SAS Analytics U forum: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/ORACLE-connection/m-p/244091#U244091

The bottom line is that the pieces of SAS/Access and the PC File server that you need to read and write Excel or Microsoft Access files are not included with the SAS University Edition. And, since the SAS University Edition virtual machine is locked down, you cannot install the pcfile server.

cynthia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
You cannot use the PCFILES server with SAS University Edition. Look at this similar question in the SAS Analytics U forum: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/ORACLE-connection/m-p/244091#U244091

The bottom line is that the pieces of SAS/Access and the PC File server that you need to read and write Excel or Microsoft Access files are not included with the SAS University Edition. And, since the SAS University Edition virtual machine is locked down, you cannot install the pcfile server.

cynthia

KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7 KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks.  So I understand SAS/ACCESS is not available in SAS University Edition.

I assigned the above library using a SAS 9.4 Windows 64 bit install and created datasets:

* Run in SAS 9.4 Windows 64 bit ;

libname testDB pcfiles path="C:\some.mdb";

libname testLIB "C:\someDirectory";

data testLIB.testDATA; set testDB.testDATA; run;

The SAS datasets now exist in C:\someDirectory .

and then I assign that directory as a library in SAS University Edition  ran a proc dataset statement to try to modify the datasets:

* In SAS University Edition;

proc dataset lib=testLIB;

modify testDATA;

I got the following error:

ERROR: File testLIB.testDATA cannot be updated because its encoding does not match the session encoding or the file is in a format native to another host, such as WINDOWS_64.

Why does SAS University Edition allow me to read the datasets but not modify them?  I understand I need to use SAS/ACCESS to initally connect to the MS Acess database to write the SAS datasets.  Is there a way I can create the SAS datasets in my desktop SAS 9.4 install so that I can later modify them in SAS University Edition using PROC DATASET?

Reeza
Super User

SAS UE is through a VM, which is Unix based, and you used Windows to create the files, causing the encoding issues. 

If you're moving files between OS's I think the recommendation is to use XPORT or CPORT to transfer files. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you still want to use your MS Access data in SAS UE you could export your data to a CSV file and use PROC IMPORT or a DATA step to read it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation