BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

if anyone knows help me.

I submitted a program and then  PC SAS hangs. not able to kill with task manager.

not able to see my log also. what to do?

where to check PC SAS  logs( not program logs) so that I can find out the reason for hanging the pc  sas.

regards,

RAJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

rajashm  You found a good example of some SAS code that has enexpected effects as a SAS system hangup.
Another one I remember is putting the endsas statement in a sas-macro. It will cause also a CPU-loop. This was a side effect of the conversion 8.2 to 9.1.3.

Something in the kernel (threaded kernel) changed and thre are possible unreliable effects on that. A bypass is very often (not always) to code.

Closing the window is killing the destination an other process is putting results into that.

This can heart the process sending data in a severe way   (similar to the endsas esperience),

In your case it makes more sense to instruct is should not send data. As you are obviously creating and saving pictures catalog you do not want to get the pop-up. 

31789 - ODS output automatically opens in the Results Viewer window even when specifying ODS NORESUL...  

http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2013/05/24/turn-off-ods-for-simulations/

---->-- ja karman --<-----

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

which version of SAS?

Enterprise Guide

SAS University

base SAS (display manager)

If it is base SAS and you see a results or output window, then press the F3 key , because you might have the default behaviour in which SAS pauses at the end of the first page of output and waits for you - the F3 key (end command) tells SAS to run tbrough to the "end"

If you run SAS in the other ways, we will need more info

Goid luck

rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

dm "graph;end" ;

proc catalog c=work.gseg kill ;

run;

quit;

to clear the graph and closing the graph window. I copied this code into my program while practicing. I think because of this getting problems.

1.if you know, let me know where to check sas logs(not program logs). 2

2. if you can modify the above program to clear the history and closing the window properly,please help me.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

The DM commands will ONLY work for people using SAS Display Manager. They will not work, for example, in SAS Enterprise Guide or SAS University Edition/SAS Studio interfaces. How do you know that there is a graph that is "hanging" the process? What code are you running when the session "hangs". Can you post your code? Peter is correct, we need more info.

cynthia

rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ,

I am using 9.2 pc SAS.

I  ran the program to make sure that sas hangs with mentioned code(only that code) .yes, it is .

I need:

I need the commands to clear the graph window ,if you can ,please(like Ctrl E for clearing the logs).

when running the programs,sas always appending the results to my graph window. which is really annoying me. Even closing the graph window and running my program again is not solving my problem.

code:

dm "graph;end" ;

proc catalog c=work.gseg kill ;  

run; 

quit;

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

rajashm  You found a good example of some SAS code that has enexpected effects as a SAS system hangup.
Another one I remember is putting the endsas statement in a sas-macro. It will cause also a CPU-loop. This was a side effect of the conversion 8.2 to 9.1.3.

Something in the kernel (threaded kernel) changed and thre are possible unreliable effects on that. A bypass is very often (not always) to code.

Closing the window is killing the destination an other process is putting results into that.

This can heart the process sending data in a severe way   (similar to the endsas esperience),

In your case it makes more sense to instruct is should not send data. As you are obviously creating and saving pictures catalog you do not want to get the pop-up. 

31789 - ODS output automatically opens in the Results Viewer window even when specifying ODS NORESUL...  

http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2013/05/24/turn-off-ods-for-simulations/

---->-- ja karman --<-----
rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

thanks a lot. you understood my problem.

several times I executed that code,sometimes it is hanging but sometimes it is  not. I ran separately those statements also(dm and proc). then also can't identify when sas is hanging or when command is working fine.

anyhow I wont use those commands from now onwards and thanks again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation