I have an issue while accessing tables with characters like $ in their names
for example, the below one works well with SAS datasets

proc contents data=abc.'au$co_auth$fc'n;
run;

proc sql;
select * from abc.'au$co_auth$fc'n;
quit;

But if abc refers to ORACLE libname, I get error as below

I now get the new error message reading: ERROR: The value 'AU$CO_AUTH$FC'n is not a valid SAS name.

Please help how I can access such datasets. Thanks.

Cheers
Mark

6 REPLIES 6
kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I think yoi need to havepreserve_tab_names=yes;  in your libname statement and then your logic should work or  please try something like this below

libname mydblib oracle user=testuser password=testpass
        preserve_tab_names=yes;
proc sql dquote=ansi;
   select * from mydblib."my table";

this was taken from

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/63647/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a001342346.htm

MarkNicholas
Obsidian | Level 7
The above did not work. This time we get error the table cannot be found. Pls help
kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

first check whether you are able to access other tables in this particular libname. try out explicit pass through also. I would also like to know expert opinion of @LinusH on this topic

alexal
SAS Employee

The PRESERVE_COL_NAMES= and PRESERVE_TAB_NAMES= LIBNAME options determine how SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle handles case sensitivity, spaces, and special characters. Please use both of them in LIBNAME. Also, I do not see that you have specified SCHEMA=. SCHEMA= specifies the name that is assigned to a logical classification of objects in a relational database. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Thanks @kiranv_. Not sure I can add to what have been already said.

But I can't stop wonder why people make it so complicated. Because you can, it doesn't mean it's a good idea to have table/column names with special/national/space chars etc. If you can't have the DBA rename things, perhaps creating views that comply with SAS naming standards is one way around it.

Assume one way of handling is not to preserve names, and then use _ (haven't tested though).

Data never sleeps
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Another option is to use passthru:

proc sql;
  connect using ORALIB;
  select * from connection to ORALIB ( select * from CRAZYTABLENAME );
quit;

The stuff between the parentheses is oracle syntax.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation