BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Reeza answered recently to a poster:

The second is to sign up for the online SAS Academics
on Demand, under the Individual group. This is hosted
by SAS and has some features than SAS UE so it's nice
that way. It is a cloud service as well, so make sure
to keep copies of your data and code locally.

I am unable to run UE now either due to the recent updates on Windows 10 or Java Runtime Environments. Not able to fix it. So I am wondering to download SAS Academics on Demand if it supports Datastep Debugger.

I look for a suggestion.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

lol. I learned like anyone else. My stupid questions are on SAS-L from when I was learning. SAS support was very nice and polite when they said 'I've never seen it done this way - what were you trying to do?'  

PUT is more similar to how debugging is performed in other languages. I know the basics well, but still can't program a DoW loop or most of Paul Dorfmans code, but I do know he also uses PUT to illustrate his code. 

See page 4 here:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/156-2012.pdf

Learning how to use PUT effectively is a process in itself, but the debugger can definitely help. 

I don't know what you mean about moving between UE/SAS Studio and EG. They're different clients used to access a SAS app on a server. I think that UE/SAS Studio is more of the direction things are moving and that Studio will be more prevalent than EG in a few years. I have all three on my desktop, SAS Studio, EG and Base. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

@KachiM wrote:

Reeza answered recently to a poster:

The second is to sign up for the online SAS Academics
on Demand, under the Individual group. This is hosted
by SAS and has some features than SAS UE so it's nice
that way. It is a cloud service as well, so make sure
to keep copies of your data and code locally.

I am unable to run UE now either due to the recent updates on Windows 10 or Java Runtime Environments. Not able to fix it. So I am wondering to download SAS Academics on Demand if it supports Datastep Debugger.

I look for a suggestion.

Try it.

Reeza
Super User

SAS 9.4 is broken with Window updates, not SAS UE as far as I know, that runs on a Unix machine.

KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Reeza:

Thanks for your quick answer.

Have you used Datastep Debugger with online SAS Academics ? In UE, it is not possible to invoke the Debgger.

Reeza
Super User

No, I don't believe that's featured in SAS Studio. 

TBH I haven't used it in the last 10 years.

PUT statements are easier and more intuitive IMO. 

KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Reeza:

For a clever programmer like you, PUT is sufficient. I am used to debugger to understand and trace complicated datastep codes. Particularly datastep codes from authors like Dorfman. 

A best appreciated paper in 2017 on DataStep Debugger is by Joe Flynn:

Step Through Your DATA Step: Introducing the DATA Step Debugger in SAS® Enterprise Guide®

Is there a way that I can switch between UE and Enterprise Guide?

Reeza
Super User

lol. I learned like anyone else. My stupid questions are on SAS-L from when I was learning. SAS support was very nice and polite when they said 'I've never seen it done this way - what were you trying to do?'  

PUT is more similar to how debugging is performed in other languages. I know the basics well, but still can't program a DoW loop or most of Paul Dorfmans code, but I do know he also uses PUT to illustrate his code. 

See page 4 here:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/156-2012.pdf

Learning how to use PUT effectively is a process in itself, but the debugger can definitely help. 

I don't know what you mean about moving between UE/SAS Studio and EG. They're different clients used to access a SAS app on a server. I think that UE/SAS Studio is more of the direction things are moving and that Studio will be more prevalent than EG in a few years. I have all three on my desktop, SAS Studio, EG and Base. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation