BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASAna
Quartz | Level 8

Hi SAS USers,

I need some help with converting this below formatted complete_date to 'DATE' type to insert into database.

I tried

new_complete_date = input(put(datepart(complete_date),8.),YYMMDD10.)  it did not worked.

new_complete_datetime = input(put(datepart(complete_date),8.),DATETIME20.)

format new_complete_date YYMMDD10.  new_complete_datetime DATETIME20.;

Variable name             type      length       format             informat

Complete_date           Num  8              DATETIME20.  DATETIME20.

Thanks,

Ana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Post what your data looks like. 

You can't use datepart on a character variable, so break it into steps to see which functions work. 

Edit: I misread your question. Use datepart() alone, the database should understand the data. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Post what your data looks like. 

You can't use datepart on a character variable, so break it into steps to see which functions work. 

Edit: I misread your question. Use datepart() alone, the database should understand the data. 

SASAna
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Reeza, It worked with just datetime() and inserted appropriate date time in database.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Which SAS version? Which Database and which DB version?

According to your code your source variable "complete_date" contains a SAS DateTime value. Do you want to load the DateTime value or only the Date part?

As an example for Oracle:

DATE in Oracle contains a value which corresponds to a SAS DateTime value and the SAS/Access engine will do the conversion for you when loading into Oracle. 

Because SAS doesn't have specific data types for Date and DateTime, the only way the SAS/Access engine can determine that a SAS numeric variable actually contains a Date or DateTime value is via the format applied to the variable. I've made with Oracle the experience that things don't work properly with all formats (which is a flaw) and I make always sure that I'm using Datetime20. or Date9. - you can simply use a data step Format statement or Proc Datasets Modify to change the permanent format on a variable. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation