BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chingweelim
Calcite | Level 5

I am puzzled as to why some of the results given by the minute() function are off by 1 minute during data step.

Below is the have data:

Picture 2.PNG

Below is the code and the want data:

data want;
set have;
start_wake_minute = minute(Start_of_Wake_Time);
end_wake_minute = minute(End_of_Wake_Time);
run;

Picture 1.PNG

As you can see in the first row, 'end_wake_minute' shows 59 when it is supposed to be 00. This is the same for the next two rows. The last two rows gave correct values. Am I missing something? 

I have also included 'start_wake_time_num' and 'end_wake_time_num' where they are numeric formats of 'Start of Wake Time' and 'End of Wake Time' respectively for your reference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

Try the following on your data and let us (the forum) know if it produces the result you expect:

data want;
  set have;
  start_wake_minute =minute(Round(Start_of_Wake_Time,hms(0,1,00)));
  end_wake_minute =minute(Round(End_of_Wake_Time,hms(0,1,00)));
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
art297
Opal | Level 21

You didn't provide your input file in the form of a datastep and, my guess, that is where your problem is.

Assuming row 2 should have a value of 30, the following does exactly what you showed you wanted:

data have;
  input (start_of_wake_time end_of_wake_time) (time8.);
  cards;
5:00:00 22:00:00
5:00:00 23:30:00
6:00:00 22:00:00
3:10:00 21:08:00
7:00:00 22:10:00
;
data want;
  set have;
  start_wake_minute = minute(Start_of_Wake_Time);
  end_wake_minute = minute(End_of_Wake_Time);
run;

chingweelim
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry forgot to mention. start_of_wake_time and end_of_wake_time are already in numeric values with format of time8.

Reeza
Super User

Remove the formats and check your data. The underlying data will likely explain the issue.

chingweelim
Calcite | Level 5

'start_wake_time_num' and 'end_wake_time_num' are 'start_of_wake_times' and 'end_of_wake_times' numeric values respectively with the 'time8.' format removed (replaced with 'best12.').

Reeza
Super User

And what do they look like?

@chingweelim wrote:

'start_wake_time_num' and 'end_wake_time_num' are 'start_of_wake_times' and 'end_of_wake_times' numeric values respectively with the 'time8.' format removed (replaced with 'best12.').

chingweelim
Calcite | Level 5

You can refer to my first post's second table. They seem okay to me.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Try the following on your data and let us (the forum) know if it produces the result you expect:

data want;
  set have;
  start_wake_minute =minute(Round(Start_of_Wake_Time,hms(0,1,00)));
  end_wake_minute =minute(Round(End_of_Wake_Time,hms(0,1,00)));
run;

chingweelim
Calcite | Level 5

Brilliant! I tried it and it worked wonders! I am just curious as to why we need to round. The formatted best12. values seems alright to me. Is it because it may have decimal places involved? Just an FYI, I've imported these times from excel. So that could have caused small decimal values to be included while importing?

art297
Opal | Level 21

No idea without actually seeing the raw data or the data with no format applied but, yes, it could well be because the raw data contained fractions of a second. The code I posted simply rounded the time to the nearest minute.

chingweelim
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much! I'll keep rounding in mind for future codes.

mkeintz
PROC Star

The time8..0 format rounds to the nearest minutes.  Consider:

data _null_;
   t='21:59:59.8't;
   put t=time10.1;
   put t=time8.0;
   minute_t=minute(t);
   put minute_t=;
run;

which produces:

t=21:59:59.8
t=22:00:00
minute_t=59

Because the time8. format rounded up, you were unaware that the time value was still in the 59th minute.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
chingweelim
Calcite | Level 5

I see. Thank you for the example! 

ballardw
Super User

@chingweelim wrote:

Brilliant! I tried it and it worked wonders! I am just curious as to why we need to round. The formatted best12. values seems alright to me. Is it because it may have decimal places involved? Just an FYI, I've imported these times from excel. So that could have caused small decimal values to be included while importing?

Decimals in a SAS time value are fractions of second.

Likely Excel is most likely hiding the fractional seconds with a display that only shows whole seconds. Go to the spreadsheet document and change the column to simple numeric with 2 or 3 decimals and examine. I suspect you will see the same decimals as SAS shows. There might be differences if you have enough decimals, more than 10 most likely, that precision of computer storage issues arise.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation