BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
VD
Calcite | Level 5 VD
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I want to allocate this value to a macro variable but am getting an error message (using SAS EG 4.1):

%let WarnTxt1= Warning - This component has a low value of Cronbach's Alpha (less than 0.7);

I imagine this could be due to the length of the string and/or certain characters. Is there a way to make SAS accept this string?

The warning I am getting is " The quoted string currently being processed has become more than 262 characters long.  You may have unbalanced quotation marks."

Thanks.

VD

Message was edited by: Vikas Dhawan

7 REPLIES 7
art297
Opal | Level 21

You have to mask the quote.  e.g.:

%let WarnTxt1= Warning - This component has a low value of %nrbquote(Cronbach's) Alpha (less than 0.7);

(Note: I originally had included the following comment: "That works on 9.3, but I seem to recall that macro variable names couldn't end with a number in older versions of SAS.".  Too early in the morning!  Character formats can't end in a number .. macro variables can).

Ksharp
Super User

Arthur ,

I would like to use %str() which is designed for it.

%let WarnTxt1=%str(Warning - This component has a low value of Cronbach%'s Alpha %(less than 0.7%) );

%put WARNING: &warntxt1 ;

Ksharp

robby_beum
Quartz | Level 8

Try adding double quotes around the verbage...

%let WarnTxt1= "Warning - This component has a low value of Cronbach's Alpha (less than 0.7)";

DanielSantos
Barite | Level 11

Yes, the "mess" that is SAS macro quoting and the lack of obviousness that is choosing the right masking macro function.

First there was %NR/STR, than %NR/QUOTE, after that %NR/BQUOTE was introduced, and at last %SUPER...

And each one has one or more particular set of features, being:

- Compile time, and runtime execution:

Some operate at compile time, while the others only evaluate at runtime (nothing happens at compile time their treated as text).

- percent and ampersand masking:

Easy to identify, every* macro function starting with %NR will mask the % and & preventing the resolve of macro variables/functions.

- unmatched single quotes, double quotes and parentheses masking:

Actually all quoting functions are capable of masking unmatched single/double quotes and parentheses, but some mask them char by char while other do this by pair unless you explicitly identify the unmatched pairs prefixing the char with a percent sign (%).

Every* functions starting with the form %NRB* or %B* do not need to identify unmatched pairs.

* there's actually a macro quoting function that doesn't follow the rule, %SUPER, which (as the name says) is the super-mega-power-thing on macro quoting.

So with that, and knowing that %STR is a compile time function and %NRBQUOTE is a runtime one.

%STR will not mask percent and ampersand (no %NR prefix) and will require to identify unmatched pairs (no %B* prefix).

%NRBQUOTE will mask percent and ampersand (%NR prefix) and will not require to identify unmatched pairs (%NRB* prefix).

For your particular case, % and & masking is not need, and the moment of function evaluation is pretty much irrelevant (compile/runtime).

So, since you have a single unmatched quote, it's pretty much a matter of choosing If you want to identify it or not.

From there, you may choose one of three functions. %STR or %QUOTE, which both require the % before the single quote and differ only on execution time (compile/runtime). Or %BQUOTE, which will not require to identify the unmatched quote, and is evaluated at runtime.

All suggestions above are correct, as they will solve VD's single quote problem. That being said...

@Artur, %NRBQUOTE is actually more than it's needed as there is no & or % to mask, %BQUOTE is just enough.

@Ksharp, for %STR there is no need to mask matched pairs(), just the unmatched single quote.

Cheers from Portugal.

Daniel Santos @ www.cgd.pt

VD
Calcite | Level 5 VD
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated!

%NRBQUOTE and %BQUOTE seem to work fine. But only in Base SAS (9.1). Somehow they are not working in EG(4.1) for me.

However I managed to make it work using use call symputx - perhaps not the most neat solution!

data _null_; set in1;

format Txt1 $76. ;

Txt1="Warning - This component has a low value of Cronbach's Alpha (less than 0.7)";

call symputx("WarnTxt1",Txt1);

end;

Cheers.

VD

Ksharp
Super User

@Daniel Santos

Yes. I know it too. just for the safe . Smiley Happy

Ksharp

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Hi Daniel,

I really like your nutshell style of explantation. Those macro quote facilities are just as annoying to me.

Haikuo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation