BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
costasRO
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I am trying to write a macro that performs a calculation using observations from a master dataset that fall between two dates.

I have an example below

%macro loop;

/*These variables will be used to create the dates that i want my macro to loop over*/
%do yy = 1986 %to 1987; 
%do mm = 2 %to 3;

/*here i create the variables date1 and date2, which specify the length of the window that i want the calculation to occur*/

data _null_;
date2=intnx('month',mdy(&mm,1,&yy),0,'end');
date1= intnx('month', date2, -2,'end');
call symput('date1',date1);
call symput('date2',date2);
run;

/*test is my master data set, in the example below i want to run a regression and keep some output using observations that fall between date1 and date2;

proc reg noprint data=test outest=oreg_ds&yy&mm edf;
  where date between &date1 and &date2;  *Restricted to DATE1- DATE2 data range in the loop;
  model y = x;
run;

%end;
%end;
%mend loop;
%loop;

However, i keep getting errors of the type below, and i am not sure what is going on.

Any help would be much appreciated!

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "DATE1".
1 9527
----

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, -, :, ;, _ALL_, _CHARACTER_,
_CHAR_, _NUMERIC_.

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Use options symbolgen mprint; to monitor macro behaviour.
Also, lift out the date logic outside and test it with hard coded macro variable values.
Data never sleeps
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Its because here:

call symput('date1',date1);

You are putting the unformatted numeric (which is behind all dates) into the macro variable, use:

call symput('date1',put(date1,date9.));

Although I would really not recommend any of that approach at all.  There really are far better and simpler methodologies to attain what you want.  For instance consider adding a categorical variable to your dataset:

data have;
  set master.have;
  if 1986 <= year(date) <=1987 and
    month(date) in (2,3) then cat="Year1";
  if ...;
run;

proc reg data=have...
  by cat;
  model...;
run;

I am leaving now, so this was done quickly, but the premise is to manipulate your data to have the category, and then do a by group on the category varaible.  This is both simple Base SAS coding (easy to read, and maintain) and uses by grou processing in the reg procedure which is again simpler and easier to use, and will run much quicker.  You don't have to use if statements, you could put the do loop in the datastep and categorise the data any way you like, then by group it.  

ballardw
Super User

Try sorting your data by the date variable and then use this:

proc reg noprint data=test outest=oreg_dsedf;.
   by date;
   format date yyqd.;
   model y = x;.
run;.

Which will create one set of output for each calendar quarter. Your Outest data set will also have one record fore each quarter.

At least I think that's what you are attempting to do.

costasRO
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks RW9 for the reply.

However, i have many dates and by variables so a macro is the only way to go. the code i use below is just a small sample, my data rurns from 1960 to 2017, and i need rolling regressions going back N months for each by variable (maybe around 10K of them) in each month.

I have tried your suggestion below, but i still get errors messages..

Many thanks again

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation