DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

log files

Super Contributor

log files

Hello,

Please a want to create one log file for all the treatement ( log_all_trt.txt)  and a log file file for every sub-treatement ( log_treatement_1.txt, log_treatement_2.txt....)

I want this treatement  to be in log file: log_all_trt.txt

proc print data=toto; run;  =                  => I want this treatement  to be in log file : log_treatement_1.txt

proc compare base=t1 comp=t2; run;  => I want this treatement  to be in log file : log_treatement_2.txt

Thank you

Contributor dkb
Contributor

Re: log files

Have a look at the documentation for PROC PRINTTO:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/61895/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000146809.htm

Super User
Super User

Well, there are a couple of points in there.  Firstly why do you want to split a log - which is the description of a program run, not data - based on data?  This doesn't make sense.  If you want to create output files on a by group within your data, then do that in proc report.  Now saying that, to split it out into different files, you would need to create a loop over the distinct treatment values:
proc sql;

create table LOOP as 

select distinct TRT 

from   HAVE;

quit;

data _null_;

set loop;

call execute(cats('%print_data (indat=have,rep_name=report_',trt,',whre=',trt,');');

run;

The above code will create a call to print data macro for each trt.  Something like that can be used to create any output files (e.g. log), however personall I wouldn't associate a log - again which is a run of code - with a data report.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I'm not sure of what platform you are running this on, but if you are using mainframe Z/OS, you might consider having one subtreatment in a generational file and then at the end in a separate JCL step, you might concatenate the gdgs into one dataset through a SyncSort - Copy option and you will have all subtreatments combined to one master dataset. 

The individual generations will be pointing to sub-treatments and the output of the SyncSort  copy will hold the master data that includes all subtreatments. 

If you are running in a Unix platform, you might use a concatenation utility to do what Syncsort does on the mainframe.

Hope this helps...!!!

Kannan Deivasigamani
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation