DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

libref too many characters

Contributor

libref too many characters

I am attempting to access a file called bsl. It is located in a libname called datashare_N which is obviously more than 8 charaters.  Therefore the following code will yield an error;

data test;

set datashare_N.bsl;

run;

Is there a workaround for this because I attempted to find the path using putty.  However because there is a requirement to type in a password to see the tables in the libname, I get an acess denied when attempting to get the full path.

PROC Star

Re: libref too many characters

Posted in reply to omega1983

The libref must be 8 characters or less.  However, in the libname statement, you can specify the password.  Take a look at:

SAS(R) 9.3 Statements: Reference

Trusted Advisor

Re: libref too many characters

Posted in reply to omega1983

The environment version and usage is not mentioned.

When using BI/DI server (EGuide) libnames can have very long names as defined  in the SAS metdatabase.

The real used name is translated to the one having the 8 character limit.

When the table is a physical location on the OS you can get its physical name. When it is RDBMS that is impossible.

The statement:" Libname _all_ list ; "  will show all technical libname defiitions 

_all_ is the * mask like indication it could be your specific libname.
Showing .requesting details in EG will also let you view the details.

The %sysfunc(pathname(yourlib)) will give the physical path of the libname on the Unix Server.

The filelist option in EG will serve you with a lot of the same functionality as in Unix.

http://www.bi-notes.com/2013/03/sas-enterprise-guide-unix-putty/

What is the thing you are trying to achieve?

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation