DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

libname contains foreign character

N/A

libname contains foreign character

I am trying to assign libname with danish character, but I have invalid SAS name. So I added options locale=danish, but it still didn't work.

libname abc_VØ "C:\VO";

any suggestions please?
New Contributor

Re: libname contains foreign character

Posted in reply to deleted_user
Don't?
N/A

Thanks Smiley Happy I guess that's one option.

I have checked my system options, locale has already been set to da_DK. So I am surprised that program takes filename with special character Ø, but not libref.

Is there anyway to overcome this?

Thanks again
Respected Advisor

I'm also not a native English speaker.
But why do you want to make your life harder than necessary. Aren't there already enough real challenges for everybody not being EN-US?
N/A

I am not trying to make life harder. I am only trying to resolve a language related issue since I am working for a danish company. Any other help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Valued Guide

Keep memname simple and put special characters among a meaningful name into the memLabel. That "travels" with the data set so is available for selection and reporting
Trusted Advisor

I am afraid that you are out of luck. The LIBNAME has a restricted set of characters to enable it to work on all platforms that SAS supports, including Z/OS. They still require 8 character LIBNAMEs (dd names) in JCL (just letters and numbers, starting with a letter).
N/A

Thank you for all you help. I guess I can use foreign characters in variables, statements but not librefs or filerefs.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation