BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rawindar
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

Can anybody help me to clarify my doubt if possible with example.

1. Can we use %let statement in datastep.

2.Can we use symget function in macros.

Thanks&Regards

Rawindarreddy

2 REPLIES 2
Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

Please see Tom's explanation in this discussion:

https://communities.sas.com/message/119344#119344

Astounding
PROC Star

Question 1:  In general, %LET will not appear within a DATA step unless the logic is faulty.  As Tom mentioned, if you want the DATA step to assign a value to a macro variable, use CALL SYMPUT or CALL SYMPUTX.  There might be obscure applications where you want a DATA step to execute %LET.  You can make that happen, but it is beyond what most people would ever want to do.  For example, this statement could appear within a DATA step:

if amount > 500 then call execute('%let color=Blue;');

When macro statements appear within CALL EXECUTE, they execute immediately.  Given the questions you started out asking, though, I suspect that such an obscure application is not what you are looking for.

Question 2:  SYMGET is a DATA step statement.  Since a macro definition can include DATA steps, those DATA steps can include SYMGET.

If you have an example of what you are trying to accomplish, I'm sure you'll receive plenty of suggestions.

Good luck.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation