BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bnorth66
Calcite | Level 5

Dear Board

I am keen to install the SAS university edition however the visualisation tools returns the error

SAS University Edition - Launch Error (VT-x is disabled in the BIOS)

that has been discussed on these boards

I think Acer laptops such as mine do not allow the BIOS option to turn visualisation on

My question arises as I intended anyway to buy a second spare laptop and would be keen that that one would allow me to use the SAS University Edition,

Can anyone please recommend a good cheapish laptop that would allow this. I'd like an rdinary one (not one that doubles as a tablet or uses cloud storage or anything "modern" ) and I wouldn't need it for gaming or anything flash - just office, email, the internet and a bit of stats etc software. But I'd like to use this excellent free SAS to improve my rusty skills

eg there's a candidate list of cheap laptops at pcadvisor found via a google eg th

Toshiba Satellite CL10-B-100 or the Dell Inspiron 11 3000

Does anyone know if either  of those allow SAS University Edition visualisation perhaps via an easy change in the BIOS

sorry for such a long winded question - I hope its appropriate for the list and many many thanks in advance for any suggestions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, instead of purchasing a new laptop, you could use the University Edition in the cloud on the Amazon AWS or you could get a SAS OnDemand for Academics individual learner account and use SAS on the SAS cloud. Neither of these solutions use Virtual Machine technology because you use a web browser to access SAS on a server (which means you will need an Internet connection).

If you explore these sites, you will see other options:
---Amazon AWS http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/AWS_or_download.htm
---SAS OnDemand http://support.sas.com/software/products/ondemand-academics/#s1=2

cynthia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, instead of purchasing a new laptop, you could use the University Edition in the cloud on the Amazon AWS or you could get a SAS OnDemand for Academics individual learner account and use SAS on the SAS cloud. Neither of these solutions use Virtual Machine technology because you use a web browser to access SAS on a server (which means you will need an Internet connection).

If you explore these sites, you will see other options:
---Amazon AWS http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/AWS_or_download.htm
---SAS OnDemand http://support.sas.com/software/products/ondemand-academics/#s1=2

cynthia
bnorth66
Calcite | Level 5
brilliant thanks Cynthia thats really helpful

I had actually looked at the AWS option before but it seemed to require a credit card (albeit with a free year) - I've got SAS Studio which is the second option working now brilliantly

thanks again (I'd still like to buy a new laptop though [☹] )

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation