BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAS_inquisitive
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am using full join in Proc Sql to join two datasets. There are multiple same values of  key variable in both datasets so "many to many" join has been observed.  Here is the small part of  datasets (ie. subset of data set ).

data a;

input id var1  date;

cards;

A   Car   1

A   Car   2

;

run;

data b;

input id var1  va2;

cards;

A   Car    100

A   Car    200

;

run;

Here is the code I am using. 

proc sql noprint;

create table t1 as

select a.*,b.var2

from  a as a

full join 

b as b

on a.id=b.id and

a.var1=b.var1

quit;

Desired output:

id var1 date var2

A  Car   1       100

A  Car   2       200

Can many to many merge be prevented in full join with multiple key variables?

Thanks !

5 REPLIES 5
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

SQL operations cannot depend on observations order.; but data step programs can:

data t2;
set a;
set b;
by id var1;
run;

proc print data=t2 noobs; run;
PG
SAS_inquisitive
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@PGStats.  Thank you. I have already applied full join in my large data set. The problem is occuring only when both key variable (s) have multiple same values and third key variable is not availabe for  joining purpose. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Typically you can't, this is of of the main characteristics of SQL. The best to prevent this is make sure that your source tables have the appropriate layout to used in a join.
Data never sleeps
SAS_inquisitive
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@LinusH.  Is there any way I can create third variable to merge in data step.  Thanks !

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Usually, it's hard to create a new key with a lower granular level on an existing table. Your sample data show too little of the possibilities. But it depends on the data. The best if you could get back to the data provider and ask for more details, and have tables that have a true primary key.

The other "leg" is what you actually want to achieve by matching those tables. What is the business rule/requirement?

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation