BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
draroda
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi, Can anyone please help me on below scenario. battrid test HEMA HB HEMA WBC CHEM SGPT CHEM SGOT I have this dataset where i have distinct groups. I want to create new datasets according to distinct groups. For Example, if group is HEMA then new dataset should be HEMA having correspoding records only and if group name is CHEM then new datset name should be CHEM with corresponding records. I have programmed a code , but that is not working as expected. Rajesh.
2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Try this:

proc sql noprint;
select distinct(battrid) into :groups separated by " " from lbload;
quit;

data _null_;
groups = "&groups";
call execute("data ");
do i = 1 to countw(groups);
  call execute(scan(groups,i)!!" ");
end;
call execute("; set lbload; select(battrid);");
do i = 1 to countw(groups);
  call execute('when("'!!scan(groups,i)!!'") output '!!scan(groups,i)!!';');
end;
call execute('end; run;');
run;

This is of course completely untested and depends on the number of distinct battrid's to work; with high cardinality, you might run into memory problems. If you only have 8, that should work like a charm.

Another method would be to use call execute to create a single data step for each group, but that would multiply the scans through lbload, therefore be less performant.

Edit: added "end" in final call execute

Worked fine with test data from

data lbload;
input battrid $ value;
cards;
HEMA 1
HB 1
HEMA 2
WBC 1
CHEM 1
SGPT 1
CHEM 2
SGOT 1
;
run;
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Why do you not use an industry standard data structure such as CDISC LAB, LB, ADLB models?  You will find your programming much easier to use normalised data (i.e. test - result per row, rather than in columns) as you can then use by group processing - i.e. no need to create separate files, know what columns are called etc.

https://www.cdisc.org/standards/foundational/lab

For example, to print your multiple datasets you would need a step for each datastep, for me using normalised data and by groups:

proc print data=have; 
  by parcat;
  title "Category=#byval1";
run;

Will produce print output of the data separated by the parameter categories, far easier to maintain.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation