BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Allaluiah
Quartz | Level 8

Hello, I'd like to know whether or not there is a Book on SAS Macros by Ian Whitlock, the macro maven? I have researched quite a bit on support.sas.com on the books page and beyond, however I could only see a huge of list of every other author names and there aint one where Ian whitlock's name is mentioned. I acknowledge and I agree there are tons of books by several authors for Macros that i can buy paying a price but I want the priceless book of the priceless person that's none other than Ian whitlock's, the SAS macro genius.

I have read some of his sugi papers and the way he explains in depth in SAS L everytime he gives a solution- /*FIVE STAR CLASS ACT*/, but a comprehensive book authored by him would be a done deal.

Can anybody point me  to Ian's corner plz

Happy holidays!

6 REPLIES 6
Howles
Quartz | Level 8

1. The (self-anointed) Macro Maven is Ron Fehd, not Ian Whitlock.

2. I would not dismiss the available user-written books about the macro facility.

art297
Opal | Level 21

I agree with Howard .. some of the other macro books by other users are well worth the price. E.g., I'd definitely recommend Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS Macro Language.

However I, too, wanted to read everything that Ian had written so, a couple of years ago I compiled an Excel workbook that contains links to all of Ian's SAS-L posts.

If interested, write me off-line.

Art

Allaluiah
Quartz | Level 8

That's cool!,surprisingly I didn't come across the name Ron Fehd as much,hmm! my bad.  Well, my sincere wish is no matter whomsoever is great, those logs should be easily available with a simple search. I have noted the book recommended by Art. Thank you both!

Ksharp
Super User

Actually I would recommend you to read SAS Macro documentation , it contains everything about Macro . If you completely understood it , then You are going to become a Macro Maven too.

naveen_srini
Quartz | Level 8

I fully agree with Xia, it's just a matter of understanding the concept fully and thoroughly well. Of course, if you have great mentors like Ian, Art or Xia its a lot less tedius to comprehend concepts at a faster pace and likewise I am in need of that too. Like you are a big fan of Ian, I am a big fan of Dr. Arthur Tabachneck. All the best!

Art,

I'll reach out to you offline for the link of Ian's posts, and besides that if you saved your own great stuff, I'd appreciate if you can share that too.

Regards,

Naveen Srinivasan

L&T Infotech

art297
Opal | Level 21

Naveen,

No, I don't have a collection of my own posts. Besides, Ian's make for much better reading.

A nice collection of a number of nice papers, from a number of users, can be found at: http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Papers_and_Presentations

Art

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation