BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SAS_inquisitive
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

When variables in retain statement are  need to initialize and when not? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

If I need to USE the variable before it is assigned from some other calculation it should be initialized. One very minor example of that would be a counter variable that would need to start at 1000 (or some series range indicator) so that the first time I used Counter +1; the result was 1001 instead of 1.

If the only purpose were to save a value that was calculated or created in the current record for use on the next then initialization likely wouldn't be needed though you might need a Length statement for character variables (always a good idea).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
That depends on the logic in your data step.
Data never sleeps
SAS_inquisitive
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@LinusH .can you give an example?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I think your inquiry seems a bit theoretical. It's better if you have an issue that needs to be resolved concerning RETAIN.
Data never sleeps
SAS_inquisitive
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Ok. I will try to come up with one.

ballardw
Super User

If I need to USE the variable before it is assigned from some other calculation it should be initialized. One very minor example of that would be a counter variable that would need to start at 1000 (or some series range indicator) so that the first time I used Counter +1; the result was 1001 instead of 1.

If the only purpose were to save a value that was calculated or created in the current record for use on the next then initialization likely wouldn't be needed though you might need a Length statement for character variables (always a good idea).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation